World of Warcraft price...ARE THEY crazy?!

Harkamus

Supreme [H]ardness
I was just over at the EBworld and the suggested price is 69.99! I dunno...something about an MMORPG that tells me it shouldn't be priced ridiculously high. For 70 bucks you could get 2 games...possibly more.

I kind of see a trend here though. DOOM ]I[ I can justify paying 55 bucks for. HL2 I can as well. But, not a freaking MMORPG. I don't even think Evercrack II will be 70 bucks.

Next thing you know the monthly fee will be 20 bucks too.

EDIT: Hmmm. OK. NVM I guess. Gamestop has it listed for 55 bucks. Maybe upon release date it won't be so bad. I wonder if ebworld.com just made a mistake listing it at 69.99.

Well here's the link anyway: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/242464.asp

If the monthly fee was ridiculously low, like $5, I'd pay the $69.99, but if it's going to be the norm ($12-15) then screw it.

EB kills puppies, shop at Gamestop.

The price will change in the first week if not before the release so dont get too crazy.

I know. I usually never shop at eb...or gamestop. Just so happened that there comes a good deal every now and then like UT2k4...which will be 10 bucks for me.

Collectors Editions are always made to ripoff the extreme fanboys.

Originally posted by Hoop

AH ok. I didn't see that. That clears everything up kind of I guess. Still, 70 bucks for a collectors is kinda high too.

you probably ge some super sweet in game item only avavilble by getting the collectors edition...like a hat... or something

Originally posted by Harkamus
AH ok. I didn't see that. That clears everything up kind of I guess. Still, 70 bucks for a collectors is kinda high too.

Not really... that's a bit lower than SWG Collector's Edition was.

After their track record with the Diablos in regards to cheating, World of Warcraft should be an interesting show to watch.

Originally posted by Riftgarde
After their track record with the Diablos in regards to cheating, World of Warcraft should be an interesting show to watch.

WoW is completely different from the diablos.

I swear these "special in game items" suck, at least most of em.

Take SWG for example, why the hell would they make sunglasses a CE only thing? that should've been a main part of clothing, not limited.

I hope if they do have a special in game item that it'll be tradeable and won't really take up something that should be available to everyone to get.

Originally posted by Riftgarde

D2 is free and not moderated as much as a mmorpg.

Additionally, Blizzard/Battle.net has taken more action on hackers and cheaters than any other companies COMBINED. They recently closed some warcraft/starcraft accounts. And don't think they don't do it everyday.

Originally posted by Hoop

No way man I love my little 1-inch metallic battle orc figure I got from Morrowind Collector's edition!!!@#!1123

... yeah, most likely it'll be some sorta rip. Unless it comes withsome meticulously detailed hot elven chick, then I'd buy it.

I think the montly fee kind of sucks even more. I already bought the game, who should I pay for it over and over again.

Originally posted by specter554
I think the montly fee kind of sucks even more. I already bought the game, who should I pay for it over and over again.

Because:

1) Who's going to pay for the massive amounts of bandwidth used?
2) Who's going to pay the developers to make regular updates?
3) Who's going to pay for constant technical support to listen to your bitching?

I feel confident that when the time comes, Blizzard will price it monthly at an affordable yet competetive rate, because after all, there are a lot of people like you around.

Originally posted by versello

3) Who's going to pay for constant technical support to listen to your bitching?

3) Constant Technical Support? I know tons of companys that provide Constant Technical Support for free.

Originally posted by Alex A.
3) Constant Technical Support? I know tons of companys that provide Constant Technical Support for free.

paying for tech support actually forces them take some action.

Originally posted by UnfaTeFuL
paying for tech support actually forces them take some action.

ahhhhahahahahha......ahahhahah....
oh wait....you were being serious, ahhhhahahahahhahahah.

sorry, had to get that out, i've had a LOT of better help from regular non mmorpg games then in mmorpgs.

like such great questions as:

"Hey, half of my equipment disappeared..."
"sorry, can't do anything about that"

GREAT service....

Please please please don't turn this into an I HATE MMORPGs CAUSE MONTHLY FEES SUCK thread. There's been hundreds of them, ressurect one.

Collectors edition will probably have t-shirt and soundtrack to all the music in the game. Maybe a figurine of some sort. It's really not worth the extra 20-30$ it costs though. Honestly I don't know how many people would wear a videogame shirt in their regular life... Just stick with regular..

Originally posted by Alex A.

Most of the time you're just supported as long as the warranty is valid. What happens after?

I would never pay for than $20 to buy the software for a subscription-based game.

Perhaps they will be providing 2-3 extra free months compared to the 1 month that comes with other similar titles.

rift you have no idea how hard it is to cheat in a MMORPG .. and i don't mean exploiting bugs that different .. cheating is a bitch due to the client-serverside relationship .. since the server stores all the important information ..the client can't add or mod the info to suit there wants .. only way to cheat really is a packet sniffer which even then can be easliy seen by the server .. so i don't think cheating will be a issue for WoW at all .

People are talking out their arses with out even having ANY idea of what goes on in a mm0rpg.

NwN, Diablo etc etc etc are NOT mmorpgs in a sence that EQ, DAoC, SW:G are/were.

YES there is cheating in mm0rpgs. Bugs get exploited, items get stolen, duped or super charged. BUT, in a game you pay to play things get fixed, and fast. People get banned.

mm0rpgs of the future will indeed cost more. Its a fact.

Look at some of your signatures. Why are people using AMDs? Why some Intel? Why push a 1700xp to near meltdown {:)}? Why do we buy AMD's 64's and Intel 3ghz when T-Bird1400's and Celeron 2ghz will game "just as well"?

Cuz we can.

Why pay {$55-75} bux for a game?

Cuz we can. :)

For every one fruitl00p HATER bandwagoneer, there are 10,000 fan-bois gonna prove you wrong.

-=M=-

Originally posted by GriffiN
Honestly I don't know how many people would wear a videogame shirt in their regular life...
You've never been to a Quakecon or a E3 before. It's sad sad sad.

In fact, I remember going to one of Kyle's [H]ardworkshops after work. I was in a shirt and tie. The only one dressed like that.

Originally posted by M3ltd0Vvn
mm0rpgs of the future will indeed cost more. Its a fact.

[snip]

Why pay {$55-75} bux for a game?

Cuz we can. :)

For every one fruitl00p HATER bandwagoneer, there are 10,000 fan-bois gonna prove you wrong.
Time to put some sense in to this fan-bois statment. MM0RPGs will cost more out of inflationary pressure than because "they can". The current market can't support several online games charging large amounts of monthly fees and initial costs. There's a great worry that the marketplace can't hold the current number of online games and several are shutting down. (Earth and Beyond being the latest victim and Planetside looking like it's next).

The gamer may have the ability to pay more for a game, but it doesn't mean that he's going to. If the costs for playing online suddenly go up, a gamer is going to have to make some choices. WoW may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if the cost is too high your hardcore Everquest player isn't going to give up his 78th level character that easily on an unproved game.

WoW has some obstacles to overcome. They'll have to compete with the likes of Star Wars Galaxies, EQ, AoC, AO, Ultima Online, FFXI, Puzzle Pirates, Lineage, etc. not to mention the free-to-play online games like Far Cry, BF:V, UT2K4, CS, Doom3 and HL2. Being the most expensive game to play in this crowded field isn't going to help them.

Time to put some sense in to this fan-bois statment

VGS Trivia Master-

Riddle me this, Batman: Can World of Warcraft {WARCRAFT!} be compared to Earth and Beyond or Planetside? Pfft, please.

I agree, people will not {should not??} be "forced" to pay high prices {per month} for a high price game, regardless of its aimed longevity.

But, this is not a hack and slash Trollkein rip. Its Warcraft.

Granted, its Warcraft in a new untested enviroment, but none-the-less, Warcraft.

The name will make the sale. And as already stated, the order price {at my local EB} is $49.99 {55 out the door}.

The gamer may have the ability to pay more for a game, but it doesn't mean that he's going to

This is a loaded statement. No one has to pay higher prices for anything. But it happens. Not because I say so. Not because Blizzard says so. But because someone will always deem it "worth it".

Hell, I re-lived my teen years by going out and buying a $75 Metal Boxed Wolfenstein {RtCW} set a few years ago. Didnt need to. But did.

WoW may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if the cost is too high your hardcore Everquest player isn't going to give up his 78th level character that easily on an unproved game.

Heh. If YOU would prefer to play EQ {1997} over WoW {TBA: 2005?}, super.

By reading Blizzards FaQ's and taking their {NUMEROUS} surveys, I can see World of Warcrafts monthly charge being $12.99 {low} to 14.99 {ouch, but worth it to me - highend}. And this doesnt count the fact that if you pay for 3 month, 6 month, or yearly subscriptions, it tends to be "cheaper".

BTW; EQ has announced that the next expansion pack there will be another engine upgrade. Anyone not playing on a DX9 compliant will have to upgrade. Yea yea, I know, who still games {online} with anything less? But people do. I wonder if any "sour" EQ'ers will buy a 9800 or 5900 and jump ship to something that can actually push the card to its potential?

WoW has some obstacles to overcome. They'll have to compete with the likes of Star Wars Galaxies, EQ, AoC, AO, Ultima Online, FFXI, Puzzle Pirates, Lineage, etc. not to mention the free-to-play online games like Far Cry, BF:V, UT2K4, CS, Doom3 and HL2. Being the most expensive game to play in this crowded field isn't going to help them.

110% agree with ya, mah friend. Lineage II looks phenomenal. EQ2 has some great pre-release pics.

SW:G? Boring to be a master crafter. AoC? Eh, its ok. Good grfx, just seems "done and re-done" to me. UO? Same nitch as WoW. Will be a gold mine or a dud. FFXI? Cartoon-y. Some like it, I did not. Again, its a nitch game and will have its player base if the content is there.

Far Cry, D]I[, BF:V, UT2K4, HLII and the like will be played {by me} regardless of what mm0rpg that is being played.

This post has really been railroaded. Even the original poster has stated he quoted the "wrong" price {$70 boxed SE set over the plain jane CD cost}.

Bottom line: If it was announced that Half Life 2 would be delivered to your doorstep with a bowl of Cheerios and a glass of OJ for the LOW LOW cost of one MEASLY 100 dallah bill: it would sell. :rolleyes:

-=M=-

Originally posted by Godmachine
rift you have no idea how hard it is to cheat in a MMORPG .. and i don't mean exploiting bugs that different .. cheating is a bitch due to the client-serverside relationship .. since the server stores all the important information ..the client can't add or mod the info to suit there wants .. only way to cheat really is a packet sniffer which even then can be easliy seen by the server .. so i don't think cheating will be a issue for WoW at all .

Diablo 2 was server side if i remember right, or atleast was going through a centralized server....

Time to find some common ground and wrap this up.
Originally posted by M3ltd0Vvn
Riddle me this, Batman: Can World of Warcraft {WARCRAFT!} be compared to Earth and Beyond or Planetside? Pfft, please.
This can be answered yes and no. Yes, because E&B and Planetside are out and on shelves. WoW still has to make an appearance to the big dance. No, because WoW has the definite edge in design because of experience and because the fantasy MMORPG games have succeeded where Sci-Fi games haven't. If pressed though, my money would be on WoW.
But, this is not a hack and slash Trollkein rip. Its Warcraft. Granted, its Warcraft in a new untested enviroment, but none-the-less, Warcraft.
Which only sets higher expectations. You can only coast on your game name for so long. You could put the name "Warcraft" on a paper bag filled with dog doodoo and someone would buy it. But they won't buy it again unless they have plans to light it and put it on your doorstep for giving them more crap.

You can only make so many Ultimas and Might & Magics before people realize that it sucks. Blizzard, despite making great games, hasn't branched out beyond the standard hack n' slash of Warcraft and Diablo. They've played it safe by making sequels based on the same themes. Their one venture into the adventure genre was cancelled before release. Up until Diakatana, John Romero could do no wrong. Just because Blizzard is making is no guarantee of another Game of the Year award. It only means a greater chance of sucess.
This is a loaded statement. No one has to pay higher prices for anything. But it happens. Not because I say so. Not because Blizzard says so. But because someone will always deem it "worth it".
Guess you haven't been the gas pump lately or bought milk. Basic economics state that the laws of price and demand affects everything except for the bare essentials that you *have* to have. Milk, gas, electricity. There's only one source so you have to pay the price. Games don't fall into that category. The Neo Geo never took off because the console was so friggin' expensive and the games were almost as much. The Gamecube was about to be a giant bust until the $99 pricedrop. Then when you factor in that most titles are sold in the "bargin" category. If you go back and look at the PC Data sheets over a year, you'll find that the games that stay in the top ten are priced at $29.99 or $19.99.

Those that buy special editions are collectors and the profit margins can justify the production of such items. But it doesn't cover the entire production run of the regular line. Collector items are the exception not the rule. I wish the Infocom days would come back with their packaging but it ain't going to happen.
Bottom line: If it was announced that Half Life 2 would be delivered to your doorstep with a bowl of Cheerios and a glass of OJ for the LOW LOW cost of one MEASLY 100 dallah bill: it would sell. :rolleyes:
Totally agree. The same can be said about Warcraft. It's great to see that you have such great enthusiasm for the game. Just don't settle for blind acceptance. Fans need to temper it with some reality and caution. I know what's it's like to be working on a game that sold millions of copies and what fan expectations are for the next game. Blizzard is under tremendous pressure to get this right. It's their next golden egg. I have confidence in them that they know what they're doing and I've met quite a few of them over the years. (The cookie bouquet they send one time was excellent!) Total props to them. I'm going into this with a wait and see attitude and hope for the best.

You could put the name "Warcraft" on a paper bag filled with dog doodoo and someone would buy it. But they won't buy it again unless they have plans to light it and put it on your doorstep for giving them more crap.

Best...line....EVAH!

I am one of those people waiting for WoW.

I played EQ from day one out, and DAoC from integrity Beta up till a few months ago {13 Accounts between my wife and I and 4 legacy accounts I recived from a cousin}. Recently got done with Shadowbane {what a CRAPTASCULAR game} beta and Horizons beta. Both games that "maybe" would have done better...IF released 5 years ago.

I am not a proffessional game critic. I'm a gamer and lean towards a certain genre. I personally prefer the "medevil" age over futuristic games {CoH, PS, et al}.

Fan boi? Hmm, I am waiting for WoW and have high hopes {and yes, high standards} but looking at 70+ dusty games in my drawer I wouldnt say Im a fan boi. Just a no-life gamer that likes his RvR/PvP online with some fantasy based toons.

Never had a prob with Blizzard like so many claimed. Once I beat the Diablos once or ten times and played enough LAN games, I went straight to HCR and never seen the "cheating" that people spoke of. I wish I could have cheated when I loaded up D2 for my 2 year old one day and he managed to log out and in on my lvl 87 Barb and kill him off.

When I think of Blizzard, I think of a company "better" then Verant and Mythic.

I think that is my whole argument.

Cant be any worse then the flagship probs EQ had {still has} or the Beta release {patch-it-as-we-go} attitude of DAoC.

And yes, if they release something tired and re-tread, I will move on. Its an easy choice.

/high-five Torgo

Think anyone is even listening to us any more?

:p

-=M=-

Jesus christ, you guys are bashing a game that isnt even out yet.

What makes Blizzard games much better than most others? Cause they have great tech support and have taken the most action against hackers and cheaters than any other company I know.

What makes Blizzard games much better than most others? Cause they have great tech support and have taken the most action against hackers and cheaters than any other company I know.

hmm...and tell me again how NOTHING to do with the actual gameplay is what makes them better....

Eh, I will say this. I used to play Diablo 2: LoD and it wasn't until a few months ago that they started seriously cracking down on hackers with dupes and things like that. This was on closed realm LoD.

1-2 years ago there were so many hacks and duped items it wasn't even funny. I still hear that there are still some dupes on the ladder realms. Not sure about the hacks like maphack though.

Bashing? Raising some legitmate concerns about a game that many of us really, really want to do well. Let's be honest here. We all pretty much know that the MMORPG genre needs a good shot in the arm. The most popular and played games are several years old and are starting to show their age. WoW is the next big thing to change all that.

So is it wrong to point out that there's been a lot of internal strife over at Blizzard/Vivendi? Or that for Blizzard this is a big step for them? We'll know more with the beta that just started, but there's a lot questions that's been raised in the past few months about the title that I would like answered.

Back