World of Warcraft performance on MB

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
How does World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King run on the newest 13.3" unibody MacBooks? It runs pretty poorly on the Intel GMA X3100 in my Lenovo.

How high can the graphics go? How does it perform in the new higher-polygon-count areas like Dragonblight and Icecrown?

Last edited:
Nah not really. The only thing you should be asking is if you like shadows or not.

Wow is known to be CPU dependent. I run a 3.8 ghz E8400 with a GTX260 OC'd like crap and when I turn shadows all the way up it doesn't look that much different but puts me down to 18-22 fps. When I put it near 25% it still looks good but I get above 60fps......

Your biggest performance hit will be going from shadow quality 4 to 5. AFAIK, the only difference is in then number of objects shadowed -- which is rarely noticeable -- but the hit is significant. On my E8400 with a GTX280, I get pretty much constant 60fps at 1920x1080 and 4x AA with all settings maxed except shadow quality at 4. If I max shadow quality, I lose about 35fps.

While it does not directly answer you question; I have the original 1G Macbook Pro (2.0Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI1600), Pre-Lich King, runs great with settings at high. Lich King and in particular Dalaran is a whole different story. I have to set the video settings to low; but other than that, it is still very playable. Again, much older unit than what you are looking at; however, I think in the end it shows that WOW does not need a lot of CPU or GPU power to be playable.

My brother-in-law has the 1G Mac Pro (7800GT Video Card, I believe) and he can run through Dalaran at high with no issues.

Old world and outland are fine, however Ulduar raiding is a ~20-25fps affair. (9400m unibody 2.0ghz in windows)

I'm sort of a noob on WoW only lvl 54, but so far it's much better than the previous gen MB I had. I have the 9400m white nVidia 2.0ghz, with 800MHz 4GB RAM. The default settings were fine, but I'm sure they can be tweaked to add/subtract the extra eye candy if you need. I'll let you know once I'm able to go other places.

on my old dell inspiron 6000m i walked around town in BC with 10fps and i raid with 2 fps so 20-25fps should be fine lol

Back