World of Warcraft on ibook?

norelec

Limp Gawd
Does anyone hear play or have played WoW on a 12" ibook? I'm looking for a 12" notebook that will play wow decenttly and can't see to find anything in the $1000 range in PC world that has anything better than an Intel Extreme graphics so i'm thinking about getting an ibook. However I'm concerned about how it runs on only 32mb of vid memory. Please note the powerbook isn't an option because of the added cost.

Not gonna lie: my 15" Powerbook doesn't play WoW at what I call a fully acceptable rate. It kinda skips as I run around and jump at times. Maybe I'm just spoiled from playing it on an SLI system, but I wouldn't really be able to play WoW on my Powerbook doing anything serious.

How much does it really take to run wow smoothly anyway? Can't be that much.

My laptop, which has a Pentium-M 1.4Ghz, 640megs PC2100, and a 64meg Mobility Radeon 9200 runs WoW great even at the native res of 1680x1050. I was shocked how well it ran actually...

Though I have heard people say the Macintosh version is significantly slower than the PC version.

^ yeah I agree that wow doesn't really require much. My friend runs it on his thinkpad T43 (1.86 Pentium-M, 64mb mobility x300, 768mb ram) nice and smooth at 1024x768 and high details. Another friend of mine runs it decently on a duron @ 2.0ghz, 1gb ram, and a 64mb radeon 8500. :cool:

I have no experience as to how the mac version runs compared to the pc, though

on my 1.4 mini w/ 512 mbs runs it at about 800 x 600, 30fps ... not wonderful, but playable ... i would expect a similar experience on the ibook

my 12" powerbook runs fine. just optimize the graphic settings and expect some lag in IF or other major cities. infact, I am going to write a post asking where I can buy good refurb powerbooks so my girlfriends siblings can play with me.

-Robert

it is true that wow runs slower on the mac platform. i had a 15 inch powerbook with the 128 9700, a gig of ram and a 7200rpm hard drive (1.5 ghz g4) and i couldnt max out the settings. wow ran a lot smoother after i overclocked the video card a bit (20% on the core and 25% on the memory) but i still couldnt max everything out. take it for what you will, but i would assume it would be rather laggy on an ibook. wow runs much better on windows at this time.

its playable on an ibook. i do it all the time on a new 12" ibook. it will run better when your running off ac power than battery.

Z3Px said:
its playable on an ibook. i do it all the time on a new 12" ibook. it will run better when your running off ac power than battery.

What kind of Frame rates are you getting on your 12" ibook?

Back