World in conflict - demo

Finn

Gawd
I just downloaded the demo (packed by macrovision none the less).

Snip from the EULA:

7. Acknowledgments. You hereby acknowledge that:

A. The Demo may contain bugs which may cause loss of data or potentially require you to reinstall your operating system.

B. You have backed-up your hard drive prior to installation of the Demo.

C. You have the resources necessary to reinstall your operating system and restore any and all lost data.

D. Licensor shall not be liable in any way for the loss or damage to player heroes, accounts, statistics, or user profile information stored on Massgate.

E. Licensor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to delete or modify the information stored on Massgate for any reason at any time.

F. As part of the Demo registration process, you grant Licensor permission to download an ActiveX file to your computer system that will record CPU, RAM, operating system, video card, and sound card information from your computer.

G. Without any further notice to you, Licensor shall have the right to obtain certain “non personal” data from your connection to the Demo regarding your computer, its component parts, and its operating system, including, but not limited to, information regarding your computer’s central processing unit, random access memory, graphic processing unit(s), sound cards and related software, as well as information relative to your connection speed. This data shall be for the sole purpose of assisting Licensor to improve the software program performances; you acknowledge and agree that Licensor shall have the right to obtain certain information from your computer and its component parts.

H. Additionally, the Demo requires the creation and retention of electronic files, related to game play and in-game settings ("Demo Data"), which are stored by Licensor. Keeping Demo Data safe is a priority of Licensor. Licensor will use reasonable efforts to restore the Demo Data, unless you negligently or intentionally caused the loss of the Demo Data.

Umm.. no thanks.

didn't see those guys, lol, kinda scary, but I didn't need to re-install my OS!

and smooth on the not-downloading the demo thing, as it ended a couple weeks ago. You can still launch the game, but it requires a pre-order to get into the limited amount of servers.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary about any of that. Anyone that's scared by this probably has never read an EULA before.

and
and smooth on the not-downloading the demo thing, as it ended a couple weeks ago
he's referring to the demo, not the beta

you guys are funny, people have been doing things like this to your computers for years , without you knowing :eek: , like the old adage goes "what you dont know cant hurt you". I take whatever I read from those things with a grain of salt anyways.Just remember on thing ... If you see an Agent, Run!. :)

It's pretty far from a typical EULA if you ask me.

They expressly state that the installation may collect information and/or pork your whole OS for a reason or another and this is highly suspicious.

All they're saying is that if shit happens, its not their fault. So if someone's computer spontaneously combusts while installing the game, they don't have to hear about it. Standard stuff.

should people actually be worried about anything bad happening? Umm Yes and No.

I have not yet installed the demo. A lot of other people have. No problems yet.

But thats with any demo. There will always be bugs and so on. Never heard of disclaimers stating anything about damaging OS.. =/

Most likely all they're trying to do is figure out what the percentage of DX9 and DX10 installations there are due to the fact that they have DX10 only features, and want to see how widespread Vista usage is for this game.

It's not like they're trying to install some rootkit here.

lol OP's first time reading a EULA. I've seen a lot weirder. It's all just legal mumbo jumbo to protect themselves from Americ...err..people who like to sue others for profit.

All they're saying is that if shit happens, its not their fault. So if someone's computer spontaneously combusts while installing the game, they don't have to hear about it. Standard stuff.

I laughed my ass off at that.

Anyway, about World in Conflict. Can you launch a nuke in the demo? That's really the only reason I downloaded the demo...lol. And if so, how?

I dont think you can on the single player campaign BUT on the skirmish you definitely can launch a nuke....even in multiplayer..... you just need 80 pts I think to be able to launch.

Anyway, about World in Conflict. Can you launch a nuke in the demo? That's really the only reason I downloaded the demo...lol. And if so, how?

You can do so, like villain said, in online multiplayer mode. Once you have 80 TA, select the nuke from the drop down menu in the upper left hand corner.

I'm in skirmish mode, and it says you can add bots, but when I select it, there are no enemies to kill. Just same faction. What am I doing wrong?

I activate the bots in skirmish via advance settings. Basically you will see TEAM 1 AND TEAM 2. Team 1 is USA and Team 2 is Russia. You then have the option to add (up to 4 each team, total of 8 bots only) divisions like infantry, armor, support, & air. So add em to team 1 and team 2.

Make sure your minimum players is over 8. If you choose 8 you will not be able to pick a team as each team will have 4 bots. In-game just pick a side and enjoy.

One of the best things bout the advance option is you can configure both sides to just have infantry and have an all out infantry wars lol

The only reason I havent bothered with this game is because I thought it was an Online ONLY type of game. Is that not correct?

The only reason I havent bothered with this game is because I thought it was an Online ONLY type of game. Is that not correct?

It has a single player campaign and its actually quite good. The demo has one playable single player mission.

the game crashes for me whenever it runs, i'm using Vista x86 and Nvidia 163.44 drivers. Right after it finishes loading a level it crashes...

Back