World Copyright Summit Starts This Week

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The 2nd annual World Copyright Summit is set to begin this week in Washington DC. Google, Microsoft, and reps from the movie, music, and book rights groups will be in attendance to address this key issue: “How the digital media environment is providing common threats and opportunities to all creative repertoires.” It’s probably safe to assume that they’ll forego booth babes at this event. Darn.

"We have to find a way to reach common peace between those who think the Internet is free and the artists who create the works," Garmezy said. "This is not about spoiled artists or rich studios," she added. "It's about the act of creation and the future of it. Nobody's going to stop piracy altogether but can you keep it to a point where it won't destroy you?"

Safe to assume that consumer rights are probably not at the top of the list...

Didn't read the article yet, but that quote is just ridiculous. WTF.

Why do they think that everyone who has the internet is a music pirate? Didn't digital media outsell physical media last year (I thought I heard that)? I have a huge collection of MP3's (among lots of other formats: FLAC, etc.), many of which are rips from the original CD. Since I prefer my music to be in one location (PC -> Receiver), it makes it much easier for me. Does that make me a pirate? I use Amazon (and many others before that) to buy some MP3's. Pirate? Internet is NOT free, even if I pay $50 a month for my internet service, that doesn't entitle me to free downloads of material. They are stupid to believe such crap.

But, the big part that really stuck out for me: "the artists who create the works". BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. BULLSHIT. Sorry. I realize how much the artist (using the term loosely for some recent crap bands!) gets per sale, and how much the RIAA and executives get from their 'protection'.

If I could purchase an album directly from the artist (like some indie sites do), and that money goes into them creating more and better albums, I'm all for it. I'm not going to pay more so that some bullshit office jackoff can pad his pockets with more cash. Help the artists my ass.

Yes, this has been a major problem for me for years. Even before MP3's, there was always the issue of the artist not getting what they earn for doing 95% of the work. Yes, marketing and distribution takes some, but not 80% of earnings. I guess they need more money to sue Grandma and 7 year old kids.

On a positive note, though: I've found a LOT of awesome bands on some indie sites that I wouldn't hear them otherwise. :)

"This is not about spoiled artists or rich studios," she added.

It should read, "This is not about artists, just spoiled rich studios," she added.

If ever terrorists were ever to attack something on US soil, this group of fucknuts should be it.

Why do these guys feel the need to get together in some sort of support group and pat each other on the back, saying "it will all be okay."

There are two simple solutions to these problems.

In terms of software and video games -- offer features or services than can only be used with an original copy. Offer software and video games in multiple formats, ie, if a disk is scratched a digital download should also be available. If you've purchased a digital copy at a savings, a hard copy should be available if you ever want or need it for a small, additional fee.

In terms of music. I'm sorry big music industry, you all dug your own grave. Your archaic pricing and distribution system has effectively made you obsolete. With iPods and digital music being the next huge thing, you all might as well have been trying to sell Eight-tracks for the past three years. A reduction in prices, increase in amount of product, and the ability for everything to be acquired digitally in a high quality format is needed. Nine Inch Nails is a good example of a band making efforts to revolutionize the way people can acquire music.

In terms of movies. Bit more difficult. I believe in the right to be able to make copies of your own movies for any various numbers of reasons, and for personal use. Perhaps the original Blu-Ray idea of connecting the players to the internet is the answer. One -- We need a completely digital means of being able to watch these movies, in high def or otherwise. Something like where if I was at a friends house, I could log onto my "movie account" -- pull up a movie I purchased, and then we could watch at it at his house. Purchasing the movie needs something extra, and I think ease of watching it on any format you want -- TV, portable, computer, etc needs to be the key.

Back