Workstations randomly losing DNS settings

Gunk Mudder

Weaksauce
Problem: Workstations randomly losing DNS settings

Environment: network with roughly 150 XP SP2 workstations on a Windows server 2003 AD environment; DHCP is dumping internal DNS information to the workstation, we are not running a proxy server

Discoveries so far: when a machine loses the DNS information, the default gateway is put in its place; IPCONFIG release/renew fixes the problem for an hour or two; no events are being logged on the workstation, DHCP server, or DNS server

BTW: This is not a new configuration; I have been running this network without a problem. This issue just started showing up yesterday. I also tried putting DHCP on another server and shutdown the original DHCP service. I did not copy the configuration dB from the original DHCP server. I wrote a script that caused all workstations to release/renew their IP settings, after working hours of course!

is there a chance that another DHCP provider has appeared on your network?

Depending on what you have, I guess if your gateway/router had a DHCP service it would result in setting the DNS to that device.

I have checked for additonl DHCP servers, but there are not any. I do have network devices that are capable of handing out IPs; I have checked them and they are not handing out IPs.

If you do a ipconfig /all it will show the DHCP server. When it has the wrong DNS make sure it has the correct DHCP servers IP.

Thats easier than looking at the configs on a bunch of devices.

If the server itself is doing it I'm not quite sure unless there is a config error on it.

If you do a ipconfig /all it will show the DHCP server. When it has the wrong DNS make sure it has the correct DHCP servers IP.

Thats easier than looking at the configs on a bunch of devices.

If the server itself is doing it I'm not quite sure unless there is a config error on it.

I will double check that when I get to work. I believe it was the correct IP for the DHCP server, though. I have looked at this so much, it is beginning to melt together!

Back