• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Workstation Computer [ 3d ] - Not Much To Choose From

lw3d

Gawd
Joined
Aug 20, 2004
Messages
577
Hi,

I am in the process to build my own system for 3d use ... basically a workstation ... no games will be played

Since no games will be played I will be sticking to AGP. I will probably be buying a used Quadro in the future. That doesnt leave alot of options for boards at the moment

I am very much leaning towards Intel as of now and the new 6xx series look nice but after reading the reviews and articles I am a bit confused as to whether this chip will work for me

This is the statement that confused me, I got it from xbit ... ' The fresh breed of Pentium 4 processors is intended for infrastructure supporting 800MHz Quad Pumped Bus. Intel Pentium 4 processors 630, 640 and 650 are compatible with mainboards sporting Intel’s 04A Platform Compatibility Guide (PGC), e.g., they have Thermal Design Power (TDP) of 84W; Top-of-the-range Intel Pentium 4 processor model 660 complies to 04B PGC, which means that the chip may have TDP of up to 115W, as previously expected '

Are there any 775 / 865 or 875 boards that will work for me. I know there are some socket 775 / 865 boards out there but do any support 800MHz Quad Pumped Bus. suporting Intel’s 04A Platform Compatibility Guide (PGC) and YDP ... what is TDP

At newegg if you do an avanced search at All Products --> Motherboards - Intel with LGA775 as the CPU SocketType and Intel 865PE as the System Chipset you will find 12 boards ... if you put Intel 875P, you will find one board, the dfi lan party 875P-T which I know broke some oc world records but that doesnt do my situation any good ... will any of these boards work with TDP

Or should I just get a P 4 5xx because there are no AGP boards that support the new P 4 6xx architecture



Thanks and please help guide me
 
Back
Top