Workstation build now or later?

Diver

n00b
Joined
May 4, 2006
Messages
14
The Opteron 285 dropped in price a bit.
So, I am thinking of:
- 2 x Opteron 285
- K8WE (S2895) motherboard
- around 750 power supply
- nVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
- 4 GB DDR400 ECC
- X-Fi Elite Pro sound card
- 250 GB Primary Storage - which do you propose?
I do have a question about the SATA RAID 0 Array - what is that?
- 800 GB SATA RAID 0 Array (2x400 GB 7,200rpm) Additional Storage

Or is it better to wait? what strong proccesors are coming? equal the 2x285?

My workstation is for video editing and graphic design.
The Adobe softwares support Open GL.

Thank you in advance.
 
I can answer your question about raid
basically its taking both of your harddrives (two 400GB ) and making them work together which will help speed up your edititing experience

question for you
What adobe product are you using that uses openGL
 
i would go for it, there aren't going to be any choices for dual cpus. There are only 2 out, the intel xeon and the dual opty solution. You picked a very good setup and i would go for it!
 
Diver said:
The Opteron 285 dropped in price a bit.
So, I am thinking of:
- 2 x Opteron 285
- K8WE (S2895) motherboard
- around 750 power supply
- nVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
- 4 GB DDR400 ECC
- X-Fi Elite Pro sound card
- 250 GB Primary Storage - which do you propose?
I do have a question about the SATA RAID 0 Array - what is that?
- 800 GB SATA RAID 0 Array (2x400 GB 7,200rpm) Additional Storage

Or is it better to wait? what strong proccesors are coming? equal the 2x285?

My workstation is for video editing and graphic design.
The Adobe softwares support Open GL.

Thank you in advance.

I was considering a similar system for a similar purpose, those 285s were too expensive for me so I put together this barebones quad-core system for around $1400. Still awaiting feedback on memory timings.

http://forums.2cpu.com/showpost.php?p=633072&postcount=443
 
stunna said:
I can answer your question about raid
basically its taking both of your harddrives (two 400GB ) and making them work together which will help speed up your edititing experience

question for you
What adobe product are you using that uses openGL

For OpenGL support : Adobe After Effects supported OpenGL 2.0 card
( Nvidia recommended ).
:)
 
Back
Top