WORKLOG: Project Hideout 2

Wow man, major props on the entire layout. You're creating my dream... hell, and everyone elses!

-Logiks

Awsome work man. The plans really show that you put alot of thought into this. Would love too see more pictures when you get done.

Some thoughts,
1. Something to block the window,heavy drapes,sliding plywood.
2. lighting scheme, Under desk lighting, indirect dimmable spots.
3. disco ball.

Great work can't wait to see more.

I am getting ready to move in the near future.......l can only pray that I can be able to do something like this in the new house.

i'll have pics this weekend i hope.. but honestly man all it takes a alot of planning.. a little knowledge and some decent tools.. anyone can do it..

excuses excuses.. sorry work has been kicking my butt and i'm currently building 5 systems (side work) i havent had a bit of time to work on my room :(

I could take a pic of all the systems side by side on my counter :) they look pretty damn cool

closet wall is in.. still working out exactly i want in the closet.. and of course.. more painting.. and drywall work todo..

pics will come as soon as i can get some decent light in here.. i goto work and its dark.. i come home and its dark.. i start to feel like a troll these times of the year..

ok how about a tiny update..

before and after of the server closet project.. i framed in the wall for the server closet. only one outlet showing in the picture currently but i'll eventually have around 5 then i'll drywall and paint it..

i'm leaving the concrete wall as is.. hope it will help keep things cool inside..

PICT0139.jpg

PICT0141.jpg

if you are gonna go to all that trouble, why not add some ducting underneath the desks for exhausting air coming out of the PCs.

Of course you wouldn't want to exhaust all the air because most of the air from the systems is going to be cooler than what is outside (during the summer) but the air coming from the powersupplies and the server closet ought to be quite hot.

well i might punch a hole in the ducting you see at the top.. in the summer it will pump in AC.. and the winter it's so cold down here anyways.. no extra cooling is needed really..

Nice work, thoug I find it odd you have a window with a view in your basement.

Semi elevated?

its a walkout basement, meaning its only underground at the front of the house then slopes down to the back

man i really wish i knew anything whatsoever about any cad program......trying to design a desk to basically take up my whole bedroom and basically have my bed on top of some supports in the corner......i guess i can dealk with freehand for now.............love the basement....wish i could do it to mine only it floods whenever it rains:rolleyes: ......great for a computer environment.

ah thats very nice, im fairly jealous! :eek:

Makes me itch to do my basement, its a completly not done basement aka: concrete floors, bare walls showing the insulation and wood frames, and a uncovered room. not to mention its a big basement!

Lack of $ prevents me from doing anything at the moment, hell the most I have done is to have two lan port jacks down there for my network. :rolleyes:

hell...this makes me want to add a basement to my house :D unfortunately we are putting a second floor on instead and none of those rooms will be used for computers...master bed/bath, walk in closet and activity room yes...computers no :( oh well such is life...great work by the way

Man, you make me want to hurry through college so I can do this!
Just a couple suggestions:

--Cable management (particularly under the desks):
Get some screw-in hooks. The bigger the better. I've used them before, and they are great for keeping cables out of sight.

--Automatic sliding door:
I can actually see this being quite easy. Get an el-cheapo laser pointer and a photoresistor. Mod the laser so a normal DC power supply (wall wart) can power it. Set them up, oh, say 3 feet from the door connected with a circuit to open the door. You have your option of using pneumatics or a plain ol' car power window motor to slide the door open. I don't know how the layout of your basement is outside your computer room, but think something like this:

laserdoor.bmp

Originally posted by Teancum
Man, you make me want to hurry through college so I can do this!
Just a couple suggestions:

--Cable management (particularly under the desks):
Get some screw-in hooks. The bigger the better. I've used them before, and they are great for keeping cables out of sight.

--Automatic sliding door:
I can actually see this being quite easy. Get an el-cheapo laser pointer and a photoresistor. Mod the laser so a normal DC power supply (wall wart) can power it. Set them up, oh, say 3 feet from the door connected with a circuit to open the door. You have your option of using pneumatics or a plain ol' car power window motor to slide the door open. I don't know how the layout of your basement is outside your computer room, but think something like this:

laserdoor.bmp

dude... that's pretty cool. i think that i may have to try and use this idea for something in my room... maybe a water level alarm in my reservoir? very cool.

Originally posted by gigglebyte
hell...this makes me want to add a basement to my house :D unfortunately we are putting a second floor on instead and none of those rooms will be used for computers...master bed/bath, walk in closet and activity room yes...computers no :( oh well such is life...great work by the way

Hey gigglebyte -

We've been thinking about doing the same thing to our house. Did you get an architect to design it or what?

eL c0L0mb1aNo said:
That server closet better be done by now.

weeellllllllllll its kinda sorta well not done yet... summer came and so did keeping up the outside of the house... the closet is there with 5-6 DFI plugs for power... and some make shift shelving.. nothing i'm proud of.. i hope to get back to work on this whole thing in the next couple weeks...

hopefully...

that is looking very sweet. how many computers do u have again?

Back