Worklog: Centurion 5 redux

Mike_Check

n00b
Joined
Oct 31, 2006
Messages
32
Centurion 5: Redux

Hey guys! Long time lurker, first(ish) time poster!

I'll get right into it shall I?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully you'll notice this worklog is a 'Redux', that is I am re-modding a previously modded case.
Originally I modded the case because I wanted a more quiet computer as it sat about half a meter away from my bed and after quick (and by 'quick' I of course mean 'lengthy and in-depth') perusal of Silentpcreview.com and of course the [H] I found out what needed to be done so off I set on my first modding adventure!

The components were whatever I had lying around as I wanted to spend $0 on the pc side of things.

Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5
Motherboard: Old, MSI AMD 939 (Neo.... something)
CPU: AMD 3200+ socket 939
RAM: 1gb of mismatched sticks
HDD: Random Seagate (I think) 250gb drive
GPU: 6600GT 256mb
PSU: God only knows!

NOW!

Onto the worklog!


I’ll just show you what it WAS like before I properly got my modding hand onto it. I had dabbled in ‘mods’ previously but they turned out preeeeetty ghetto as you can see. Bearing in mind this was it waaay back ago when I had limited tools (a drill) and little experience (I was like... 16):

Dodgily mounting a 120mm fan in an 80mm fan spot.
PICT1200.jpg

(Yes, that's blu-tack)

The whole system. Notice the cutout at the top for PSU wire routing. Also a 120mm blowhole was added.
PICT1203.jpg


Blowhole up close. I was actually pretty proud of how that turned out.
PICT1198.jpg


-----------------------------------------------------------


Now; onto the Redux...


This Chirstmas season I got a lovely, shiny and cordless Dremel from my parents so off to work I went cleaning up my previous endevours:

The back grill was cleaned to a proper fit.
IMG_8747.jpg


I cut out an actual hole for the new 120mm intake and created actual mounts (bye bye Blu-tack!)
IMG_8750.jpg



I also cleaned up and added a few more cable routing hole now I have more control over what and where I can cut.

PCI-X Connector:
IMG_8748.jpg


HDD and/or Power, reset and front USB connectors:
IMG_8726.jpg



Now onto the painting side of things!

Painting mostly:
IMG_8757.jpg

Mmmmm yummy, yummy sanding.

IMG_8759.jpg

More sanding love (this was during the sanding process; obviously the whole top was done to a bare metal)



*In best Pimp my Ride voice* Now it's time for paint!

IMG_8760.jpg


IMG_8761.jpg


I don't think it came out too bad considering I had never actually painted anything before...


Masking off for the RACING STRIPES!! (Did I tell you about racing stripes? I'm sure I told you about the racing stripes...)
IMG_8762.jpg


More masking
IMG_8764.jpg


After a coulple coats
IMG_8766.jpg


Aaaaand one more
IMG_8767.jpg


Annoyingly a little bit of spray got under the tape near the blowhole so I'll have to wait for the stripes to dry and do some hand-work. While I'm being pedantic I'll probably make the edges of the stripes a little smoother.

IMG_8801.jpg

all taped up!

IMG_8803.jpg

You can see it's still quite shiny (still drying although it took like 3 seconds on a day like today)

IMG_8803.jpg

Blaaaaaack

IMG_8808.jpg

After drying

IMG_8809.jpg

Side view

IMG_8812.jpg

Back view


Righto well here's the finished product. I switched out the fans for some blue ones for two reasons:
a) They're much, much less noisy and
b) They give up lots more light.

Here are some shots.
IMG_8832.jpg


IMG_8830.jpg


IMG_8825.jpg



Well I hope you guys liked it. It was my first proper modding experience and over the next few days I’ll upload my other escapades but please comment/critique this!

Thanks for your time!

M.
 
yeah they're damn good cases for sod-all :D

Sadly I don't have this anymore, I sold it to a mate and now it's not getting taken care of :( ah the woes of needing money.

M.
 
Back
Top