Working on building new PC right now. Some concerns.

Quellex

n00b
untitledsn9.jpg

The pin here is missing on my XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO.

Edit. Actually, according to the picture on newegg it's not NOT there, this I'll now assume is normal. Phew. I thought I was going to have to go through the RMA experience.

Heres the picture from Newegg
1718900506ce2.jpg

Ok, got that out of the way.

Now, I'm curious. Heres my system real quick.
XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO
P5B Deluxe + Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/ 5X DVD-RAM Write Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA
EVGA 7950GT

Now, I installed the motherboard into the case.
Installed the CPU and Stock HS (Was a pain the ass BTW)
I connected the 4 pin power connector to the 4 pin CPU power socket
I installed my ram
I installed my GPU + PCIE power
Keyboard
ATX power of course

(Basically the basic stuff to get things going)

Ok, my concern is that it's not recieving enough power. This may be a false concern, brought about by the 24pin connector scare and my inexperience, or I might have a issue with the PC. When I first powered on, it seemed to start up slow, about 3 or 4 seconds, are CD2's slow and quiet accelerators? This may be my imagination trying to tell me I have trouble, or this is just the way pentiums are. I dont know, I have never had a pentium before. I'm used to the PC powering on coupled with noise of activity, ie a fast fan and my monitor pinging about a second to a second and a half later. The PC I'm used to is a 3200 AMD64. Are AMD64's generally louder than the C2d's? I'm also thinking that it's possibly the fact that I only have the base compenents connected so the CPU is conserving power. How does that sound? I thought I would ask before I tried. Looking forward to replies. Hopefully I can get it all set up tonight!

(See first post for system)

Ok, I'm powering on. Now here's the problem - I'm getting this message : reboot and select proper boot device. I proceeded to enter the BIOS and change the boot device priority to 1.CD (Non SATA), 2.HDD (SATA). 3.Disabled. My SATA HDD setting are set to the default configuration of IDE. I tried to insert a XP CD to press a key and boot into setup, but it continues to display "Reboot and select proper boot device". The DVD rom spins, and I hear activity but it continues to give me that message. I tried a spare CD Rom drive and it gives me the same message. Any thoughts?

Update. Got the DVD drive working. Apparently it wasnt plugged in optimally. It's allways the simple things that get us!

Now formatting HDD and installing windows

Updates coming soon.....

"Ok, my concern is that it's not recieving enough power. This may be a false concern, brought about by the 24pin connector scare and my inexperience, or I might have a issue with the PC. When I first powered on, it seemed to start up slow, about 3 or 4 seconds, are CD2's slow and quiet accelerators? This may be my imagination trying to tell me I have trouble, or this is just the way pentiums are. I dont know, I have never had a pentium before. I'm used to the PC powering on coupled with noise of activity, ie a fast fan and my monitor pinging about a second to a second and a half later"

Check your voltage supply rails in speedfan once you get into windows. if they're more than 5% out of spec under load, then you'll know whether you're not getting enough power.

Back