workgroup LAN: credentials never "remembered"

x509

2[H]4U
I have 5 systems on a workgroup LAN. (No domain controller in my humble abode. :p) Systems are all Win 7 64, except for one old Win XP, but this issue occurs on both OSs.

Whenever I want to connect to a different system on the LAN, Windows offers to memorize my credentials. I assume that means the next time I need to connect to that different system, that Windows would do the connection automatically, but that is not what happens.

How do I fix this problem? :confused:

Go to Credential Manager and Add a Windows credential. Type in the static IP, and username and password for each PC.

Go to Credential Manager and Add a Windows credential. Type in the static IP, and username and password for each PC.

:D :D :D
Thanks so much for this reply. Out of "stupid curiousity," is there some book or website that explains obscure issues like this one?

On my home LAN, the desktops have permanent IP addresses but not the laptops which get their IP addresses via DHCP. So for one of my laptops I entered just the system name, e.g. YELLOW instead of a Fully Qualified network name. But the credential did work! I guess that's because network names are broadcast over the LAN.

E.g. if I do "ping YELLOW," I get a normal ping response. If I type in, "net view" I see all system names listed, including the READYSHARE on my Netgear WNDR 3700 router.

I'm reluctant to follow this approach on my laptops, because of the risk of compromising important information if the laptop is lost or stolen.

Back