Workgroup file sharing

brisk

Limp Gawd
Hey,
I had a question.
I want to setup file sharing in a small 5 computer workgroup with permissions.
Not to familar with workgroups but when I setup permissions on the "main" computer, do all I have to do is use the same exact user name that the individuals use on their own computers?

Or would I have to setup each username on the "main" computer that matches their username on their computer to be able to pull this off.

Thanks in advance.

Ok, thats what I thought.
I guess I will have to play aroudn with this "workgroup" thing.
They didn't want/need a server with a domain so....o well.

Thanks anyways.

Workgroups work great for smaller networks where there is no need to have separate rights on the machines, just file sharing and such.

Much better than a domain IMO for those type of situations...removes a lot of headaches if done right and users can be responsible for their own machines.

yea this will be a simple file sharing with permissions.
they want to save locally, and i don't want to buy a NAS solution

Ok, I have a problem with this.
Computers are not seeing one machine.
If I have a different subnet mask for one machine because of the static IP, does that cause the interference within the workgroup?

the client computers are 255.255.255.0 and the one computer(server) is 255.255.255.248

Is that whats causing the server to not see others and others to not see the server?

If not, what could be causing it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Unless the IPs of the other systems are in the 255.255.255.248 range, they wont be able to communicate. There's only 6 usable hosts on a /29(255.255.255.248). Any reason why you can't just change it to a /24(255.255.255.0)?

Ok,
I was short tempered.
I added a DHCP IP to it with the subnet of 255.255.255.0 and BAM it works.
So I have two IP assigned to this computer. One from DHCP and the other is a static.
Two different subnets too.
This shouldn't cause an issue right?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Is this system acting as a router? Why do you have two networks on the one machine?

As long as the same mask is used on all machines in the same segment then you should be fine.

No this system is the mail server also acting as a local file server.
static ip for mail and dhcp ip for local file/print.

so this system(a) is using a different subnet mask for the static and using the same subnet mask as the other computers through dhcp.

so far...nothing seems to be out of place....knock on wood.

Ok, I am still confused. :confused:

Why do you have a seperate IP for the two functions the server is performing? There isn't a need for two, only for the one. Statically assign one IP with the correct subnet for the network, reserve that IP in your DHCP server (or create a static reservation and leave the server on DHCP). If you have ports forwarded for the mail server make sure they point to that IP and you should be golden.

You should never have a system using a different subnet mask from the network it is sitting on.

Honestly I am not even sure how you managed to assign multiple addresses unless you are using dual NICs and are routing between them. ;)

you know honestly i don't know either.
how this "works"

i don't have dual nics either.

but the static ip was given a specific subnet and changing that to the subnet that the dhcp ip's are at didn't work.

i have no clue....but it seems to be able to communicate within the lan and i am able to hit the server from outside the lan via its static ip.

weird....really weird but works........

you know honestly i don't know either.
how this "works"

i don't have dual nics either.

but the static ip was given a specific subnet and changing that to the subnet that the dhcp ip's are at didn't work.

i have no clue....but it seems to be able to communicate within the lan and i am able to hit the server from outside the lan via its static ip.

weird....really weird but works........

Sounds to me like you need to sit down and rethink your topology. Just because it works doesn't mean it's working right. It also doesn't mean it's not going to blow up in your face.

Why not just follow industry standard practices and use the standard gateway/ firewall + port redirects?

mailserver on workgroup setup?

lols....

no router on this setup, computer configured with static wan ip? comeon get a router, configure router for static ip, and open the port from the machine with the static lan ip.

what is the mail server?

setup seems silly

i do have a router. its a comcast router
again...this is a small setup with 4 computers.

but on the side note...i can't seem to access the shared folders on the main workgroup from the computers. i use the same user name on the client and added the same exact user name on the main computer with limited access when creating it.

i have setup permissions based on that username but no luck...

any ideas?

thanks.

btw the mail server is hmail or some other form like it. open based.

so basically.
we have comcast.
5 IP in our static range with the subnet of 255.255.255.248
And i assigned the mailserver computer with one of the statics and to work i need to assign it the subnet of 255.255.255.248
So if it is a stand alone it works fine.

But in order to communicate with the workgroup which my router assigns them dynamic IP of 10.1.10.x with a subnet of 255.255.255.0
So what i thought was to add a dynamic IP to the mail server computer to allow it to communicate and it works like that.

Am i doing something wrong here? any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited:
so you have 2 routers on the network?

thats gonna be a problem, double natting.

go to each machine and give us IPConfig

nono just one router.

one comcast router.
main computer (A) has both a static ip and dchp ip from the router
computers b,c, and d has a dhcp ip from the routerj.
a: 10.1.10.x with subnet 255.255.255.0 and x.x.x.x with subnet 255.255.255.248 (static given by comcast)
b,c, and d: 10.1.10.X with subnet 255.255.255.0

only reason again why computer A has two IP's is because all these need to be in a workgroup.
and with two different subnets, i wasn't able to acheieve that.

if you have a solution to this, pleas let me know.

are you sure the comact is actually a router?

most cable providers dont give you router/modem units.

how and why do you have 2 ip from the router?

if the router hands out iprange of say 192.168.1.100 to 200, so on a 192.168.1.x network
all machines should be on DHCP except server, server you should plug the IP settings into it - 192.168.1.10 for IP, 255.255.255.0 for gateway, 192.168.1.1 for gateway and dns.
all other machines should be on DHCP and connect to the server by \\servername

you seem to have this setup all screwed up.

make sure that cable modem is a router. reset modem and plug in a laptop to it, and go to start > run > CMD and type in IPCONFIG

what is it giving you. i bet its a public IP and you have some kind of ICS going.

u sure that thing is a router? doesn't sound like it if its giving machine(a) a static ip. set your router(if it is a router) to dhcp with max of 6 connections.

from the sounds of it you have a network hub and not a router.

change all 6 pc's to the same named workgroup

share folders that u want on each pc.

should be a simple thing to do.

edit: ah marley beat me to it :)

thanks for the replies.
if i connect it to the router? direct it gives me a 10.1.10.x ip with 255.255.255.0 subnet.
i had to manually put in the static IP to the main computer. the main computer is not running a server OS but XP pro.

also, i shared folders but it says that i do not have access when i gave permissions and securities with the same username that resides both on the shared file computer and the one accessing it.

thanks.

you shouldn't have to put in a ip on any computers if you have a router.

they should all get a ip from the touer.

what kind of router is it? give us name. Comcast to me doesn't have a router give me a model number

that's not a router if it gives u a direct ip like that, i think you're talking about your modem itself.

well if i login to the router/gateway/modem whatever it is it gives me an option of assigning via DHCP or not. so i am guessing this is a router? i don't know....

so how many pc's are connected (wired or wireless) to this router? is it just machine(a)?

Guys i am posting this for him, he pm'd me so i responded

"hey,
i hope you don't mind me PM'ing you.
if you prefer in the public forum then let me know i will copy this to the public.

the comcast is a SMC network gateway.
smc8014-ccr
i guess it isn't a router...but it does assign IPs via DHCP if i log in to it.

i have a linksys wrt54g that i can use.

but the problem is comcast gave us 5 static IPs that has a subnet of 255.255.255.248.

and that subnet i believe is only good for up to 6 ip's?

and if i have the LAN at 255.255.255.0 and the main computer at 255.255.255.248 i can't communicate via workgroup.

so any ideas what i need to do?

thanks again."

Anyway what I told him was to configure his Linksys with a Static WAN IP and plug that into the SMC Gateway. Thats how we work it with our service out here. Or else what he would have to do was plug each machine into the SMC unit and configure each with the static IP service. if he has more then 5 machines hes in trouble.

I would also suggest getting a little better router but its okay for the time beaing

Back