Workgroup Access Denied Across Multiple Computers?

dr_latino999

Limp Gawd
I'm a little stumped on a home networking issue. Currently I have lost access to "View Workgroup Computers" in all of my computers and I don't particularly know why.

See below for great Paint Flowchart -

1-2664-89350-l-vg1HJpF2H1GTEXCg4qXo6A.jpg

• All computers can ping each other;
  • All saved network places will still allow you to view the contents of the shared folders;
  • Typing in the name of the computer you are looking for (//Q6600) will direct you there;
  • Only the Vista computer can actively map the network and see the computers or see updated shares on its own;
  • No Firewall / security software on any computer except the Vista;
  • Router and bridge are both WRT-54G/S running DD-WRT v24;

Any ideas to what causes three computers to experience the same error simultaneously and if so how to go about fixing it?

When you say they can ping each other....
Are you pinging by name? Or IP address?
And importantly....do you get replies, or timeouts? Any computer can ping..but the test is in the replies, or timeouts.

Sounds like it's probably just master browser issues, something that happens on peer to peer networks now 'n then.

I can ping by IP address all of the computers from any of them with no timeouts and 0% loss. What exactly is a master browser issue?

Thanks for the timely response.

So pinging by name results in timeouts?

Master Browser..it's a "role" that a PC plays on the network...there is one PC that will keep track of all the netbios names of PCs. In larger business networks..it's usually a server...domain controller. But in peer to peer networks..it can get messy, it's supposed to be a role that gets elected to the newest operating system on the network...but often results in computers, well, arguing over it. (you'll see it in event viewer).

Can be forceably controlled through the registry.

start run \\ipaddy

does that work?

if so fuck network neighborhood, just map some drives =)

Yeah at the workgroup in my parents house, sometimes View Workgroup Computers will not work and sometimes it did. I wouldnt worry about it that much.

Make sure that you have windows file and printer sharing allowed through your firewalls on the pc's. If it is then try making the admin password on the computers the same.

Marley: I have access that way, but it still is a pain.

TopGun: None of the computers are running firewalls (sue me).

What I did find out using the Browstat.exe tool was that the Vista computer was taking the Master Browser position. Disconnecting it from the network and it being assigned automatically to another box brought full functionality to viewing and browsing the workgroup through Explorer. Is there a way to explicitly stop the Vista box from assuming control as the Registry commands I have found don't correlate with Vista's registry.

its harder to go to say S drive, or T drive for another machine instead of going ot My Computer > My Netowrk Places > Comptuer > share????

Back