Workers on the road.. how do you deal with laptops and security?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
We have some people going on some trips for work and they all have laptops.

Usually i tell them to RDC into their work systems but they may be with out internet for periods of time so this won't work.

They will have information that i consider sensitive enough to protect and wanted to know what are others doing to protect their road warriors data?

Encrypted drives is one thing i want to do ,using either Truecrypt or other options. Using soley

USB keys encrypted wont work as they get lost too easily as i had thought they could use that method and store everything on the USB key seperate while not in use.

Any type of phone home / self destruct options if a laptop is stolen and then connect to the internet?

We use BitLocker and VPN. Most then just RDP into an RDS server and work from there. Only data on the laptop is the OS and MS Office.

We normally use Trucrypt, however we find that the bootloader tends to get jacked up forcing a full decrypt to repair in most cases.

Whole disk encryption. Disable USB disk access apart from pre-prepared keys. If you can swing it, disable all USB devices apart from predetermined ones.

Appreciated, i was reading up on the pro's and con's of bit locker. disabling USB is easy enough, going to test a system with TrueCrypt.

What about tracking software if someone does manage to get in? Remote blow that sucker up type stuff...

A sensible thief or fence - one looking to sell it on - will simply wipe the HDD and put on a fresh image.

We normally use Trucrypt, however we find that the bootloader tends to get jacked up forcing a full decrypt to repair in most cases.

When we did whole disk encryption, boot errors were deemed an acceptable risk and dealt with by reimaging.

At a bank, we used Safenet USB keys.......

That whole "loosing them and such" sure it happens, but not to the point they were being given out like candy. They also get busted too, but thats why when they are busted and lost......the user gets charged for them (15$, even though they cost over 30 per).

Worked ok, makes the all around user experience succccccck bawwwwlz......everything is crazy slow but, its safe.

Full Disk Encrpytion + VPN + sync offline files if they are needing, say, their home drive?

Login to VPN to get synced files - disconnect - use locally during the day (if they do not have internet access) and then resync at their hotel at the end of the day?

Not a very GOOD option but an option non-the-less.

Back