Work Symantec Issue

Farva

Extremely [H]
Symantec 10.1.5.5000 crashed on one of my users (DWHWIZRD.EXE, 0x65efdb96). Everything I've read says to remove the AV client and reinstall it or to upgrade it. Well, I have done the first and the latter is not an option.

Why can't you download 10.1.6 or 10.1.7(whatever the latest version of 10.1 is) from symantec?

Anyway have you tried the symantec removal tools before reloading it?

Symantec's uninstallers are crap, so give it a shot with the removal tool, and then try reinstalling it.

You can't reinstall ? and if not why not ?
I was able to uninstall (via Add/Remove Programs) and reinstall. User is getting the error again.

Why can't you download 10.1.6 or 10.1.7(whatever the latest version of 10.1 is) from symantec?

Anyway have you tried the symantec removal tools before reloading it?

Just got off the phone with them to upgrade. I didn't know the serial number or purchase order for them to look it up. I suppose that is the downside when work at a job where pretty much nothing was documented. :mad: :(

Right now I'm trying to track this info down.

Just got off the phone with them to upgrade. I didn't know the serial number or purchase order for them to look it up. I suppose that is the downside when work at a job where pretty much nothing was documented. :mad: :(

Right now I'm trying to track this info down.

Generally speaking symantec licenses come via email in a PDF file. You then go to licensing.symantec.com and register the license with your account. This will let you download the software.

If you don't have this information how do you know the license is even legit/hasn't expired? Symantec's av doesn't check a license to download upgrades. If it was done by a third party it is possible they bought a license years ago and have just loaded it via the disk they downloaded.

If the license is still good there wouldn't be a charge for an upgrade, you could just download the newest build of 10.1 from their site(10.2 if it is a vista machine). Hell you should have Endpoint 11 as an option as well.

If the license isn't valid anymore then I'd look at another solution. We generally put eset on our clients networks although we have a bunch on kaspersky. With both we are running the business versions.

Back