Work ordered me a new MBP ... Quick question on video!

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
my work just ordered me a 15" macbook pro with following specs:

Apple MacBook Pro 15" Laptop:
Hardware:
15" LED-backlit glossy display
2.2GHz Intel Core i7 Quad Core
4GB DDR3 Memory (2x2GB)
500GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
Intel HD Graphics 3000 w/384MB
AMD Radeon HD 6750M Switchable Graphics
Built-in 7-hour battery
Aluminum unibody enclosure
Backlit keyboard
iSight camera
SD-Card Slot

With these upgrades:
8GB 1333MHZ DDR3 SDRAM 2X4GB
HI-RES ANTIGLARE DISPLAY

I am slightly behind on the development of the graphics cards in laptops. Is there a big different between the 6750M with 512mb and the 6770M with 1gb ram? Can I allocate more system memory to graphic memory?

Last edited:
No sure knowledge.
I believe the 6750 and 6770 are basest on the older HD5770 with more shaders, slightly more speed, DDR5 memory and HDMI sound/DX11.
from a 6750M vs 6770M article.

can i allocate system ram for the video card?

i know you could do this back in the day.

can i allocate system ram for the video card?

i know you could do this back in the day.

If i'm correct, you cannot do that on a MAC.

Most systems that did support this was only in the BIOS. The options would range from
64MB-512MB in the bios. I know what you are talking about, but I highly doubt there is a way to do it on a Mac. (correct me if i'm wrong anyone.)

And a more simple way to look at it is that if the card has "Dedicated" memory, the chances of you being able to allocate more to it is slim to none. If it's shared/hyper memory then you might have the chance to do it, but also sometimes the system itself dictates how much memory and does not give the user to control the amount of RAM/Memory being shared.

You won't be able to crank up all the eye candy, but games will do well enough with low to mid-level settings. I've played Rizen and Hunted: Demons Forge on my MBP, which only has the 6490 card.

Back