Work is upgrading my monitors-Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by peanuthead, Apr 11, 2018.

1. peanuthead

peanuthead [H]ardness Supreme

In short, work is upgrading my monitors for my new office setup. I mainly handle general office items and nothing like video editing or gaming. I currently have 2x 24" 1080p monitors, so keeping dual monitors is the idea. Only requirements I have is:

- more screen real estate in each direction
    - IPS panel
    - I can be in front of them for 8-16 hours so something easy on the eyes is ideal.
    - I would say the price per should be no more than $350-400 a piece.

My desk is about 48" wide and I sit about 19" away. (I may increase this a few inches in the future.) I really like 3440x1440/QHD monitors as I get the increase in width and height, but I think 2 is too much and I would have too much head turning. Recommendations?

2. waderunner

waderunner Gawd

For your uses, I would say that 2 regular aspect ratio monitors (16:10 or 16:9) is better than one ultrawide.

48" sounds small for a desk. Do you mean that's 48" wide, or 48" deep?

At 19" viewing distance, I would think that 24" or 25" is still about the right size. I'd recommend a couple of Dell U2415's (1920 x 1200, so would give you some additional real estate), or maybe a couple of U2518D's (2560 x 1440).

Or, maybe a 27" 1440p monitor, and then a 24" or 25" secondary monitor.

I work from home, and that's basically my setup. My current monitors are a U2515h, and a P2715Q (both Dell's).

3. Brian_B

Brian_B [H]ard|Gawd

I just got a pair of P2715Q's. Nice for the price (I got them at around $300 per). IPS, decent color, 4K.

I bumped up from 24" displays to those 27" - the increase in size was pretty negligible and hardly noticeable. The 4K - meh on gaming and real estate, I run at about the same size / real estate as I did on 1920x1200 before, but I do notice a marked improvement in text sharpness - much easier for me to read on screen.

4. peanuthead

My desk at home is an Ikea Jerker to give you at idea of what I am using. I am leaning towards a 27-29" 4K. I have an LG UW I really like for daily use, so it may have to go away, or blend in somehow. The text sharpness and focusing on it is a good thing as I think that is what tires the eyes out the most. I like the text sharpness from my Dell 24s now. Just need more real estate. Thank you for the recommendations this far.

5. waderunner

waderunner Gawd

Funny. My desk is a jerker as well. I didn't realize it was only 48" wide :) Guess I hadn't thought about it for a while.

6. waderunner

waderunner Gawd

Nice. Was that price thanks to the Amazon warehouse 20% off? I thought about picking up another one myself. But I think rather than get a second one, I might pick up a gysnc monitor for better gaming results. But I agree, I like the pixel density on the P2715Q for text sharpness. In Windows, I run it at 150% scaling, making it basically a very sharp 1440p 27" monitor.

7. risc

risc Limp Gawd

If you need portrait, I'd get two 27" or greater IPS. If not, IPS isn't important.

I have a trio of Dell U2415 and they're good, but Dell standard "support" is so horrendous and unbelievably bad that I will never, ever buy their monitors again.
    One of my monitors went bad in less than 6 months, continuously turning on/off/on/off/on/off, and it literally took weeks and dozens of emails and at least 5 - 6 hours on the phone with several reps for them to replace. It was unbelievable.
    (My shitty new trio replaced a pair of Dell U2410 home/business which had great support, one went bad a few months before the 5 year warranty and they replaced no problem, took 20 minutes or less.)

8. peanuthead

I want IPS for the color and clarity. My eyes notice a difference.

9. criccio

criccio Fully Equipped

Whatever you do, at least one of them should be in portrait or at least support spinning to portrait so you can try it. I can't go back to multi-displays without at least one in portrait, especially at work. Outlook and debugs for our voice switch are a dream to use in a tall display.

risc likes this.
  10. risc

risc Limp Gawd

Are you looking for an 8bit or 10bit panel?

11. risc

risc Limp Gawd

12. peanuthead

Doesn't really matter I suppose. Look at what I am coming from. :)

13. Brian_B

Brian_B [H]ard|Gawd

It was a sale price, I can't recall if it was a warehouse 20% deal or not. They've been superseded by the P2718Q (has some sort of purportedly non-standard HDR support), so I suspect it was just an inventory clearance thing.

I run at 175% scaling right now - coming from 24" 1080 looks about the same scale.

14. kasakka

kasakka Gawd

I'd say a 27" 1440p display. I recently got such a display from Lenovo for work and it's pretty good. I use a similar size and res ASUS 144 Hz at home and for the resolution and size it's a good fit.

15. DanNeely

DanNeely 2[H]4U

If your desk's only 48" wide, 2x34" ultrawides won't fit well; they'd be hanging off by a few inches on each side.

I'd probably go with a pair of 27" monitors at either 2560x1440 or 3840x2160. If you're worried about head turning maybe 25" instead, I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal though. I've got a 24 and a 25" on my desk, and my default sitting position lets me see both comfortably without turning while being able to watch for alerts on a laptop screen farther to the side. (depending on what the notice is I may either turn to read in place, or pull the browser window onto my main screen to respond. that has more to do with it being only a 13" screen though.)

At home I've got a setup with a pair of old 1200x1600 monitors in portrait flanking a 32" 4k (previously 30" 1600p), and the same applies. I can fit the main and either side into my view comfortably while keeping an eye out for alerts on the other side panel.

Based on that experience I wouldn't want to do anything portrait without an effective width (after any DPI scaling) of at least 1200px. I do occasionally run into sites that assume a minimum desktop width of 1280 or 1366, but generally those just cut off a sidebar. 1080p in portrait would probably be chopping content a fair amount of the time.

16. criccio

criccio Fully Equipped

Its far less intrusive than you think, especially if that's all you have to work with. I have a the work provided 1080p 23" Dell IPS in portrait next to my personal Dell 3008WFP and its still incredibly useful.

17. Chas

Chas [H]ardness Supreme

Having gone with 27" x 4K (2160p), I dunno if I'd do it that way again.
    I sit a little over 26" from my monitors and without screen mag on, it's nearly unreadable for desktop use.
    If you're looking for more real-estate, look for the utlra-wide screens in 1440p or even 1080 (the 1080 ones are usually under $300 each and you can find 29" models).
    You should be able to run them at 100%, so no screen magnification artifacts.

18. DoubleTap

DoubleTap [H]ard|Gawd

I'd try to get one of those 43" 4k multi client monitors that work like 2x2 1080p monitors or maybe a 38" 3840x1600 with a little 24" / 22" portrait side car (or two)

rtangwai likes this.
  19. rtangwai

rtangwai [H]ard|Gawd

+1 on the 43" 4K.

If it isn't enough then get 2x 21.5" monitors as well and stack them vertically on one side, it will be a close match and gives you 2 extra monitors if you prefer using the 4K as a SLS (single large surface).

Or, get a bigger desk:

35719706393_da4f364580_b.jpg nine_monitors

20. urapnes

urapnes n00bie

The Monoprice 32” 4k is worth considering. I bought one as a daily driver for work. I do not need to use scaling. Claims to be IPS and is $400. I found the 27” 4k to be too hard to use every day without scaling for intensive spreadsheet and sql usage. The 32 is a nice increase in usability without having a 40+ on them desk. (I needed display port input and HDMIwas not an option for me so ymmv)

21. GnatGoSplat

GnatGoSplat n00bie

+2. I set my wife up with a 43" 4K TV as a monitor for her work from home day to replace dual monitors. While initially skeptical, she loves it now and suggested I should do the same with my machine. I did mine, and I've really grown to love it, too. I'm seriously considering spending my own money to take a 43" 4K to work, as my work will not buy me a new monitor. 43" 4K in the middle as primary, flanked on the sides by a pair of 24" 1920x1200 monitors rotated in portrait would be a very close match in height.

That 9-monitor setup looks awesome.

22. morgwon

morgwon [H]ardness Supreme

I had this setup at my old job and I loved it. But you are right about the head turning if you are side by side. The trick is to stack them. It was perfect.

23. peanuthead

I wish I could stack them but my desktop will not allow that.

24. Chas

Chas [H]ardness Supreme

You don't have an area to clamp them to?
    Don't have sufficient vertical clearance?

What's the hold-up?

25. peanuthead

There is a shelf mounted above the present monitors that is in use.