Work At Epic's New Seattle Studio

HardOCP News

[H] News
Our friends at Epic are opening a new studio in Seattle and they are hiring. Currently the company is has positions for Animation Systems Programmer, Audio Tools Programmer, Engine Programmer, Java/Online Server Programmer, Lead Online Programmer, Rendering Programmer and Tools Programmer. If you got the skills, dust off your resume and hit the link above. :cool:

Epic Games, Inc. announces the establishment of a new Seattle studio, which will be initially focused on engineering efforts for its award-winning Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) technology. As of today, Epic is recruiting developers to work on its latest technological projects. Epic is searching for exceptional programmers and support staff to collaborate with its engineering group, which maintains a median industry experience of 12 years. Epic is especially looking to hire senior-level talent specializing in online game services and the infrastructure to support them.

Doesn't Seattle still have the highest suicide rate mostly because of the weather, and you want me to work in a high stress job, and almost zero chance of having a social life on top of that?

Methinks you hath been smoking thy crack pipe too much good sir.

Doesn't Seattle still have the highest suicide rate mostly because of the weather, and you want me to work in a high stress job, and almost zero chance of having a social life on top of that?

I know people that work at Epic (I live not too far from their main headquarters). The work atmosphere is very laid back and they have flex time. Their employees are also given very nice equipment (probably the only place where the secretary gets a Geforce GTX 580 as a hand-me-down).

EPIC stopped being my friend when they started that console noob gears of war crap and then put out a dumbed down UT3 filled with console noob crap on PC.

I lived in Seattle for 15 years and I never once felt the weather affected my psychological well being. If rain will drive you to suicide you have much larger issues to begin with.

I live about an hour's drive south of Seattle. Starting in mid to late September and ending around late April, it's cloudy and either raining or drizzling. The weather is miserable then, but very nice in the summer. At worst, we see a couple weeks where the tempratures are over 85 degrees F and little to no rain. It's not a terrible place to live. The only downsides I've noticed are a very high cost of living (make sure your household income is at least $60k or you'll feel some pinch for monies) and the usual pressure of a high population density.

I like seattle, usually make it there once a year, went to school next to nintendo, and I like cloudy days moreso then the bright sunny annoyingly hot. Maybe I'm still stuck in my morbid teenager phase, although I must admit seeing gears of war makes me feel like a grandpa, cause I just don't get it

from review on glassdoor:

Long long hours during crunch before the latest game gets released. Some days are pretty stressful. Teams in different areas don't interact much.

:rolleyes:

This amuses me that every single complaint from people working in the game industry complains about "long hours during crunch". :eek: Some days are pretty stressful??? :confused: Welcome to life you baby!

What did they expect, to work LESS hours when you are coming up on a deadline? The company spends millions on advertising, millions on development.....they pay these programmers salaries....so yea the company wants the game to come out on time.

Not everyone working at Epic is a cliffyb making millions, I get that, but all these programmers are probably making a decent wage, otherwise if their salary was not acceptable, they wouldn't have taken the job. So OF COURSE you will work 40 hours a week at minimum, and you work as many extra hours as you have to in order to complete the project on time. Same with any job ever.

This amuses me that every single complaint from people working in the game industry complains about "long hours during crunch". :eek: Some days are pretty stressful??? :confused: Welcome to life you baby!

What did they expect, to work LESS hours when you are coming up on a deadline? The company spends millions on advertising, millions on development.....they pay these programmers salaries....so yea the company wants the game to come out on time.

Not everyone working at Epic is a cliffyb making millions, I get that, but all these programmers are probably making a decent wage, otherwise if their salary was not acceptable, they wouldn't have taken the job. So OF COURSE you will work 40 hours a week at minimum, and you work as many extra hours as you have to in order to complete the project on time. Same with any job ever.

But if tasks were split better and deadlines much more realistic, problems like this wouldn't exist. If there's a "crunch time" on every release, maybe something's not right.

Having worked in the game industry over the course of nearly a year and change, I can say that it's unlike any other job you'll ever have, that is, if you're a programmer. I code for a living now, doing gov't/military work, all while getting paid more and still being able to code. VERY little, if any, stress. However, in the game industry, I always found myself wanting (rather, needing I suppose) to change little things constantly, and then you get work pile on you over and over again, while other idiots are breaking things that you in turn have to fix so the next piece can be done. Couple that with having to work, well let's just say "A FUCKLOAD" more than 40 hours a week on a REGULAR week, it's just not fun. I wouldn't do it again, and no, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that "likes to play games" or "would love to make a game". Please do your research before you think about joining up.

Now, I'm sure it's not EXACTLY like this at every company, but I can imagine that "crunch" time is basically "every day, all the time" at the majority.

Generally speaking game programmers make way below the average salary and work far more hours than salaried programmers in other industries. Most game programmer quite after a year and go work in finance or other corporate gigs where they work 9-5 and make twice as much. The good news for game companies is there are a lot of suckers to fill their place. This isn't true at every studio and senior programmers can do pretty well, but breaking into the senior ranks is about 3x as difficult in the game industry.

No. Your native England is much more miserable. I think we are currently at 47+ clear and sunny days in a row. It's about to be 86 degrees up in this bitch.

Generally speaking game programmers make way below the average salary and work far more hours than salaried programmers in other industries. Most game programmer quite after a year and go work in finance or other corporate gigs where they work 9-5 and make twice as much. The good news for game companies is there are a lot of suckers to fill their place. This isn't true at every studio and senior programmers can do pretty well, but breaking into the senior ranks is about 3x as difficult in the game industry.

Spot on, fact.

Couple that with having to work, well let's just say "A FUCKLOAD" more than 40 hours a week on a REGULAR week, it's just not fun. I wouldn't do it again, and no, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that "likes to play games" or "would love to make a game". Please do your research before you think about joining up.

Corect. 60-90 hours is a normal week.

Corect. 60-90 hours is a normal week.

I'll put myself within the 60-90 bracket, for every week, other than, and yes, I can vividly remember, 2 weeks that I've been there in a year and change time. It's brutal, and it's not fun after a while. The "Oh man, who cares about going to bed, I'm making games for a living!" mentality wears off and turns into "Fuck I need more vacation time, I wish I had a revolver!".

Back