Wooo hooo, scored a free SonicWall SOHO3

IceWindus

n00b
Ahh, the perks of being in the industry, the free goodies. Had a client with a SOHO3 thats AC adapter basically melted and in a rush to get them running, sold them a TZW unit. I managed to secure a new AC adapter and I got the SOHO3 25 user free of charge :D This will work great as I wanted to learn more about SonicWalls and I can start doing onsite installations with them

I noticed that the TZW got a new user interface. Anyone know if am able to download the new interface to the SOHO3's? I still have a support contract that was transferred to my SonicWall account. Also, anything I should set or monitor on these litte guys?

I use sonic walls in my shop, if you have a support contract you can get firmware updates, which does not always mean you get the new interface.

Yeah, I looked into it, looks like no new OS updates available for these guys, only for TZW models. Owell......

I believe the last firmware update for the Gen2 devices was 6.5.0.4. Firmware can only be downloaded if you have a maintenance aggreement, or contact a channel Partner or VAR. You should also transfer the ownership to yourself, but you'll need the original owner to do that through their MySonicwall login. The SOHO3 is a good unit, but it's and end-of-life product, and there will be no more updates for it. Actually, the TZW is end-of-life too, and they are only selling off old stock through dealers inventory- no more are available through SonicWALL. Too bad- the TZWs are good versatile units, with more tunnels and connections allowed that the TZ170's. The TZW is technically a Gen3.5 device, in that even though it has the old processor and hardware, it use some of the newer interface. Nothing like the older Gen2 interface. I own 2 TZW's, and they're nice. TZ-170s are good too, but allowed SA's on 10-user unit is annoying (2 tunnels and GroupVPN only). Plus, the TZ170-10 doesn't include a single VPN client license like the TZW's did, so you have to purchase one to connect via the GVPN client :rolleyes:

I found the SOHO3 a definite dissapointment as a gaming router last night. After I finally got my settings right and started to play HL2 deathmatch, I was hiccuping and jerking all over the place that I never had a problem with my WRT54g. Im gonna have to fiddle with some more settings to see if I can get it work right.

Back