Woodcrest/Bensley boards

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
Are there any mobos that support two sockets for Woodcrest CPUs that also have at least one PCI-E x16 slot announced yet? I don't need SLI or Crossfire, but I'd like to at least be able to take full advantage of a single graphics card.

Ok... here's the deal. Blackford (server silicon) DOES NOT have PCIe x16, regardless of whether or not their is a x16 slot on the board. It'll be x8 electrically. Greencreek (Workstation silicon) does have PCIe x16 and even though some boards have "dual x16" slots only 1 is x16... the other is x4. Here are the #s for each...

Blackford Intel® 5000P Chipset

Blackford-VS Intel® 5000V Chipset

Blackford-VP Intel® 5000Z Chipset

Greencreek Intel® 5000X Chipset

As long as you get a board with the 5000x chipset you'll be cool.

even though some boards have "dual x16" slots only 1 is x16

So that means that SLI/Quad SLI won't be compatible with any Woodcrest mobo, right?

I'm asking because some board manufacturers are advertising their Woodcrest Mobos as SLI-ready. Maybe they're just talking out of their a**es though...

tdx said:
So that means that SLI/Quad SLI won't be compatible with any Woodcrest mobo, right?

I'm asking because some board manufacturers are advertising their Woodcrest Mobos as SLI-ready. Maybe they're just talking out of their a**es though...

There isn't an option for dual x16 in the MCH. Some manufaturers are using a x4 lane for a second slot. That's not to say that SLI won't work, but it won't be x16, x16.

That's something I've never really understood about SLI: does it really need two PCIE X16 slots to function, or can it function on lesser, X8 or X4 slots?

tdx said:
That's something I've never really understood about SLI: does it really need two PCIE X16 slots to function, or can it function on lesser, X8 or X4 slots?
For most current cards, two X8 slots have plenty of bandwidth for SLI. Think only Quad SLI needs two X16 slots - does it actually require them, or will it work with or without a performance hit in two X8?

No matter what, I believe that until someone buys a 5000x mobo and one or two 7950s and tests them (probably with hacked drivers), we won't know for sure.

tdx said:
No matter what, I believe that until someone buys a 5000x mobo and one or two 7950s and tests them (probably with hacked drivers), we won't know for sure.

I won't be the first. A 5000x mobo, two woodcrests, and a x1600 will be pricey enough as it is.

I ordered a Dell Precision 690 with the riser card with 2 Quadro 285s. I plan on trying my 7800GTs with it to see if SLI works. You can order it with SLI'd 4500s but I didn't feel like dropping another 2800 just for those two cards to see if SLI works.

I won't be the first. A 5000x mobo, two woodcrests, and a x1600 will be pricey enough as it is.

Yup, I hear you. Me neither. ;)

There are some people over at 2cpu and Xtremesystems who seem to have the means to do that and who have access to "secret" drivers. hopefully they'll come up with the goods.

I don't know bout you guys, but a dual Woodcrest 1333 rig with FBDIMMs and two 7950s in Quad SLI sounds like it could be the new champ around here. And when you think about switching the Woodcrests for Clovertowns next year... :D

tdx said:
Yup, I hear you. Me neither. ;)

There are some people over at 2cpu and Xtremesystems who seem to have the means to do that and who have access to "secret" drivers. hopefully they'll come up with the goods.

I don't know bout you guys, but a dual Woodcrest 1333 rig with FBDIMMs and two 7950s in Quad SLI sounds like it could be the new champ around here. And when you think about switching the Woodcrests for Clovertowns next year... :D

Alright, I bit the bullet. We'll see how long it takes it to get here, dual 5150s with dual Quadro 3450s, I'll see if I can get them to push the 2407 together. If they can't, I'll try my 7800 GTs. I only had the option for workstation cards and they didn't have the 4500 X2 as an option, so I won't be doing quad SLI unless I can get some loaner 7950s.

Alright, I bit the bullet.

Congrats on the new purchase, ND40oz. Now of course you'll have all these annoying requests from forum members, starting with me. :D

When you receive the hardware and set it up, would it be possible for you to run some of the standard benches to see how it performs against Conroe? For some reason, no one seems to have done that. Of course, if you could also run some of the same benches that Coolaler run in this thread (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104773), you would be my hero ;)

Sure, I'll run benches when I get it. I won't be able to OC it unless there's a clockgen out, which I doubt. I currently have a dual woodcrest server with 5150s in it. Do you want any benches from it as well or just from workstation type boards? If so, I can probably get them up over the weekend. I don't know how long it's going to take this order to go through as the 5150s seem to be short supply right now...

Thanks for offering. I'm just interested in some benches that are similar to the Conroe/Kentsfield benches that people are running on this board and also on Extremesystems... I haven't decided yet wether I'll go for a Conroe or a Woodcrest for my nest rig, so that's why I asked.

Also, you mentioned you had some 7800s lying around, do you have the hacked SLI drivers so you can test them woth the Woodcrests?

Finally just out of curiosity, where did you get the Woodcrests and how much did you pay?

Thanks again for everything. Your help is going to make my decision (and other people's I presume) much easier and my banker less sad. ;)

My current woodcrest box is a Dell 1950 that started life as a dempsey box, it was upgraded with some ES 5150s that were donated...they run around $720 from Dell as an upgrade option, I can get the part number if you need to order it separately.

The new one is a Precision 690 workstation which is supposed to natively support SLI. I upgraded the video to dual Quadro 3450s because according to nVidia's site, these support SLI as well. Hopefully I'll be able to get it working with the quadro drivers. If not, I'll pull my 7800 GTs out of another system and find the correct SLI drivers, I believe some of the 78s work with the 975 chipset, so I'll try them first. I have an extra SLI bridge from my 975 board, so I'll try it with one of them. I don't know how long it's going to take to get my system though...hopefully sometime in the next two weeks.

Back