Wont start, just a click

tunaman

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 10, 2002
Messages
2,150
I built a new system back in August with the below parts. It has ran flawlessly since then. I woke up in the morning to find the system dead. I had left it on over night but then it was off. And wont start up.

The lights on the motherboard do turn on when power is applied. The very first time after power is applied (plug in or switch on psu), and only the first time, when you hit the main power switch you will hear an audible click and you can see all of the fans move. But just barely. The machine does not actually turn on. And it only does that the first time. It will not click again unless power is completely cut. As if a breaker is being tripped and wont turn on again until its reset.

Any ideas on what this might be? I already swapped out the power supply with another know good unit. And that was not the problem.


Asus X99 Deluxe
I7 5820k
LEPA watercooler
Asus strix 970
Gskill 2400 4x4gb
 
Strip it down to the bare minimum hardware wise. Onboard video, one stick of ram disconnect all drives and see if you can get into the bios. Then start adding hardware until you get the same result. Another idea could be a bad pump or something that is connected to cpu fan header and it thinks there is no fan connected but you would usually get an audible warning.
 
Remove the ATX 24 pin and 4 pin AUX ATX from the motherboard. Use a piece of wire to short Pin 16 PS_ON with one of the blacks on either side (doesn't matter). This will turn on the power supply. If the power supply turns on then you know it is functional.


Keep the drives and stuff attached in order to give a load to the power supply (or use some old drives if you want).

EDI: saw you swapped out the supply....but it could test other things like video card or drives.

da87333a_ATX24-1.jpeg
 
I had the same issue and it was a motherboard. I would definitely follow the above advice first, though.
 
sounds like something is shorting and triggering the PSU to go into protect (circuit break?) mode.


what psu is it? thats very important.
 
Of course. The most important thing I leave off of the parts list! The PSU is a Corsair RM650.
 
And I will add that the other PSU I swapped in was a brand new Corsair RM-850. I have a rosewill PSU at home I realized late last night. I will try that tonight and see if I can get my computer back online. I will also try and jump the original PSU just to see what happens.
 
So I just got home and tested out my PSU. All I got out of the original PSU was a click. No fans turned at all. But, well, they arent supposed to either. But no sounds indicating the PSU was on. I tested the other PSU, Rosewill unit, and it turned on just fine with the fans turning at speed with nothing but the small wire jumped at the connector. I then plugged it into my computer and no go. CLICK. And there was nothing plugged in except the power connectors and a fan mimicing the cpu fan. All the USB headers, and everything was all removed. So I guess its down to either a $400 motherboard or a $400 CPU being bad. Damn.
 
could be something shorting out a trace. Any chance a screw got behind the mobo? do you move the case around sometimes? Next step is bench testing.
 
I would remove it as mentioned. Could be something behind it. As mentioned above, I had this issue and it was the mobo.
 
Yep. No such luck. Took it out of the case and hooked up to power with nothing else attached I got the same result.
 
I had a similar problem with 2 Corsair AX650i's back to back (the original and the warranty replacement)

Problem was the cable to the 24-pin motherboard header shorted internally - that PSU was modular, so I could test it with the cable removed and it worked fine, but plug in that cable -- with absolutely nothing else attached, and it would short circuit shutdown immediately.

I sold the 3rd warranty replacement unopened... If i wanted to get really geeky I could have just hunted for the short with a DMM and fixed it, or just replaced this cable since it was modular, but this was a freakin AXi, and it wasn't that the cable was getting pinched or crimped in the build or anything weird.

Replaced it with a 450W Seasonic since I didn't really need 650W in this build, and that guy has worked like a champ ever since.

So yeah, to finish the derail from my sob story - either the PSU is internally shorted, or you got shorted output cables on the unit. That "fans spin up for a moment and then everything just shuts down" is the PSU going into short circuit/overcurrent protection (otherwise it would probably catch on fire).
 
But now there has been the original Corsair RM 650, an RM 850 (purchased new and now returned), and then a Rosewill Hive-750. THe PSU has gone into protect with all 3 PSUs. The RM850 was brand new, and the Rosewill I was able to test and confirm it turns on using the method now. I am going to go pick up a new motherboard(ouch) tomorrow and throw it all together and see what happens.
 
Picked up a new X99-Deluxe at Frys today and sure enough. Fired right up. So looks like the motherboard fried.

And after reading about the Corsair RM650s cant help but think that contributed. We will see how this goes.
 
Picked up a new X99-Deluxe at Frys today and sure enough. Fired right up. So looks like the motherboard fried.

And after reading about the Corsair RM650s cant help but think that contributed. We will see how this goes.

in my experience, when PSU's are out for blood, they have no qualms about continuing their rampage.

be weary.
 
Sounds like your MB had a problem.

I don't think I'd be so quick to blame Corsair, but in the same breath the RM model is not their top of the line.

I have s Corsair HX 1200 and an HX 1050 currently and both have been rock solid.

I did have a Seasonic X- 1050 blow up recently, and those have gotten the highest reviews of any PSU in their class.

Moral of the story, anything that can happen will happen eventually.
 
Well, so. It powers up now but nothing happens. Status indicator sits at 00 immediately which tells me that it is not POSTing.
 
And so its starting to look like this took my CPU down as well. So... am I just out $800? ($1600 actually since now I have to replace the hardware.) Is that it? Can I get the CPU and motherboard RMAed?
 
Did you read the article? When the deluxe fails you get the clicking. When you replace the mobo and get 00 then it took the processor with it. This exact same sequence happened to me and many others a year ago. If you search you will find many posts on this issue. I was fortunate in that it happened to me within the first month of ownership so Microcenter replaced both. You should contact Intel support, they may replace the processor at no cost.
 
The MB killed the CPU, Intel had nothing to do with it.

Sort of like Jiffy Lube forgetting to put oil in the car on a change and asking Ford to give you a new engine.

If this was an ASUS MB that took your CPU with it, I'd very much ask them to consider a CPU replacement, but given their shitty RMA history lately, good luck with that.
 
Back
Top