Won't shut down?

dbaldus

Gawd
I just came home from college to find my parent's computer littered with spyware, viruses, and everything else under the sun. Fortunately, after getting the most recent version of Ad-Aware, Spybot, NOD32, the Microsoft Antispyware, and the eWido Anti-malware, most things seem to have disappeared and things are running much more smoothly (although there are a few pop-ups occasionally).

Anyway, when my parents started getting these things, they said the computer would not shut down. When you go to Start--> Shut Down, it simply reboots itself instead of ever shutting off. The only way to shut it off is to switch the I/O switch on the back, and then it will stay off. Just wondering if that was the power supply, a virus, or something else?

What should I try to do to fix this?

Power supply is going to turn off/on based on what the motherboard does on the green lead (open/close) so it's more likely a motherboard problem then anything else.

So what should I do to fix this? And why would my mobo, the same one that has been in there for years (ASUS something or another) do this all of a sudden?

Why would a power supply that's been in there for years (presumably) start doing this all of the sudden?

It's a computer. They do things to piss us off.

What's happening is Windows is receiving a reboot command at the very end of the shutdown process, possibly because of a BSOD. Usually the default settings are to reboot automatically if this happens. What you should do is go to My Computer properties, go to Advanced, click the Startup and Recovery settings, and uncheck 'Automatically restart'. Then, try shutting down the computer and see if there is indeed a blue screen or not. It sounds more like a software issue, but faulty hardware could be to blame also.

I tried unchecking "Automatically restart", but it still does the same thing, although now it seems to reboot twice now (not a full reboot, but just reboot, wait about two seconds, and then a second reboot) instead of just once. Any other suggestions? Updating my BIOS perhaps?

Back