Wont Post

Wheresatom

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Asus P5N-E SLI MB that had 2 gigs of G.Skill RAM and an Intel E 6420 processor. I plan on upgrading to Vista from XP-64 bit pretty soon. I want to go with the 64 bit Vista so I decided I should go ahead and look for RAM so I can take advantage of the 64 bit part. I found the exact same RAM and bought it.

When I went to install it, the computer would not start. I started trying different combos and I think I have figured out the problem is not with the RAM. Both sticks work on either open slot one at at time. If both are installed the computer will not even get to the BIOS. Whats wrong here? Do I need to flash the bios or something? Or is there just a setting I can change and everything will be fine?

check that you have the RAM voltage set to that recommended by the manufacturer.

having said that the P5N-E is kind of notorious for memory stability (or lack of it) with 4 DIMMs.

Are you overclocked and are your ram timings on auto or manually set?

I have not overclocked or changed any voltages. I will check the voltage. I assume that is voltage specified by the RAM manufacturer right?

I feel like a complete moron. I can't figure out how to check my voltage settings. The Asus support website is down at the moment. Can any one give me some instructions on how to get to where I am trying to check this?

I found a timings tab and here is what it said:

All rows defaulted to [Auto]
tCL (CAS Latency)
tRCD
tRP
tRAS
Command Per Clock (CMD)

**Advanced Memory Settings**

tRRD
tRC
tWR
tWTR
tREF
tRD
tRFC
A Sync Latency

As I said these were all set at auto. Some investigation yields that these can all be set to numbers (1-5 in some cases, 1-more in others). The G.SKILL Website said

CAS Latency 5-5-5-15
Test Voltage 1.8~2.0 Volt.

I imagine these numbers somehow match up to the numbers above. Can someone help me as to how?

Ok, so I found where a G.Skill rep had figured out settings for the memory timings including the advanced ones for the P5N-E (not SLI) I put those figures in, and set the memory voltage to 1.92 and still no good. I think I am going to have to update the BIOS. I have never done this, I lack a floppy drive, and my dvd burner is SATA. I haven't spent a whole lot of time researching yet, but it seems I might have a problem. A lot of the instructions from ASUS seem to be in engrish so I am afraid there might be something lost in translation. Can anyone point me to a good BIOS flashing how-to for ASUS boards or this one in particular would be even better.

There should be a tool, you can use in Windows from Asus to flash the BIOS.
I have used Asus tools to flash in Windows and have done the same with Gigabytes tools on my new Gigabyte mobo.

You dont need to use DOS but you must not be running anything or do anything while the flash is in progress.
I recommend getting the flash file and then disconnecting from the internet before performing the actual flaah to reduce potential interruptions.

Update:

At first, it didn't seem like this was going to work out for me, but finally I managed to find the problem. This whole thing could have be solved in about 15 minutes, but i guess thats part of the fun. I downloaded the updated BIOS from ASUS and used their flash utility. It was a nervous but painless process. Thanks everyone for your help.

Back