Wondering about some websites

Spun Ducky

Gawd
So am in my fourth year of Computer Engineering and I have always heard about these "rent a coder" sort of websites. So my question is how many of these sites are legit if any? I could use some extra cash and I figure it would be good experience.

as a fourth year CE student myself... don't do it
these sites can be just as bad as craigslist.

people post on there in order to find the cheapest coder that they can, throughout the whole development process they will try to cut costs and possibly not pay you.

plus most of these sites don't have real CE jobs... usually.
they are mostly CS/SE jobs.

I am not sure how many years you have left, but if you are graduating after spring, then you better start interviewing for full time jobs. otherwise, you better start interviewing for co-ops/internships for the summer, that is how you get real money and real experience

it's hard to compete with other ppl on those sites, since some of them are working from 3rd countries. as far as getting paid goes, i believe if you pick the right site, your payment goes into escrow so you don't get ripped off.

Many are legit. You just have to put in the time to evaluating the person, looking at their work history, defining your requirements and what is in/out of scope, set terms and conditions for acceptance and payment, etc. It carries many similarities to hiring a contractor to work your house.

Back