Wondering about HDMI cables

So we all know that monster cables are wayyy to much money, but I am wondering about minimum standards. As long as something is HDMI 1.3, will it play 1080P perfectly, or is there more to it then that.

For example, I bought a 15 foot ION hdmi cable 1.3a for about 10 dollars on sale. This almost seems too cheap for me, like its too good to be true. Is it?

It should work. At worst, you'll be out $10.

But seriously, a test showed that there is virtually no difference between cheap "generic" cables and the (way) more expensive Monster cables. It's only at long distances (though I can't remember the exact difference) does the Monster cable starts to "outperform" (for lack of a better term) the generic cable. Regardless, Monster cables are overpriced.

There is no difference from a 5 dollar cable to a 50 billion dollar cable. from gold tips to Pure Silver cables. Its just a marketing Scam cause they know people will buy into the expensive Cables.

I bought a 6 foot HDMI cable off monoprice from 3.94 or something like that and i tryed my Friends so called 179 Dollar so called Monster cable and I couldnt see no difference at all.

They did show that after 10 Feet the Generic Cable started to lack and the 10 foot Monster Cable Shined. If your not going over 10 feet it doesnt matter.

You can't tell the difference because there IS no difference. Analog cables can have signal loss and such in various degrees and shades but when you use a digital signal it's all or nothing. When you do run into problems, it's been referred to going over the waterfall. For example if you exceed the length (it will still work longer than the spec, I have a 30' HDMI cable which I got cheaply from monoprice that works perfectly) it will work up to a certain length and then all of a sudden you'll come to the point where it just does not work.

Back