Won a AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE. Need a Mobo.

[IO]ERROR

Limp Gawd
Well here at QuakeCon I won a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition. I've been a Intel guy for a while but have no brand issue so I'm going to build a AMD rig. I have 4gig of OCZ DDR2 ram at home so I need a mobo that can OC fairly well but nothing crazy. Any suggestions?

Indeed, but I'd go with new RAM and an AM3 board if I were in his shoes. He could probably craigslist the old ram and pocket 40 bucks.

theres no reason to go with an am3 board.. the performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 on the phenom II's isnt even noticable.. OP'er go with either of the choices given in the first reply.. they are both really good boards for the price..

1+ sirmonkey if he has memory already, I don't see good reason to spend more on DDR3 board and memory.

Last edited:
If you're going the DDR2 route I can personally recommend the 790X-UD4P.

For the Gigabyte 790x-UD4P

It says it supports hypertransport 5200/2000 3.0 version. I am confused if the HT is rated for 2000 = meaning 4000 bus. Why are some mobos saying they support 5200/2600 when there is no AMD with over 4000 bus?

I am thinking about buying this board for keeps...

get the GIGABYTE 785g board with the sb710 its like 80 bux when you are done with it you can turn it into an htpc

Congrats on the win!

you won it at QuakeCon but that does not mean you will be building a gaming rig. the type of use will make some of your choices.

is the CPU going to power a gaming rig? HTPC? home server? what you want to use it for should point you toward a chipset, and then you have decisions to make. some may already be answered i.e. you have 4gb of DDR2. i assume you have a case, or are you thinking of getting one...

it is still a personal choice of use, and how much you are willing to spend on a new build. in any case, you have a nice start with that BE. Enjoy, and post some pics of your build :cool:

congrats on the win, but believe it or not but you're an AMD guy for life now. bahaha

get the GIGABYTE 785g board with the sb710 its like 80 bux when you are done with it you can turn it into an htpc

lol a 965 as an htpc.. that should just be a waste of a perfectly good processor.. an htpc processor is something like the athlon II's or phenom II 550BE.. anything higher then thats just a waste of processing power and electricity..

sell it 2 me and continue with intel j/k but really sell it 2 me :D

FYI - running DDR2 with the 965 (or any AM3 processor) neuters it a bit - about 10%-12% average... you'd need a native AM3 board to support DDR3 :)

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3

May as well grab a native AM3 board and some DDR3 with the extra cash you didn't have to buy a cpu with

i also won one(amd was giving them out like candy there) and i think i may go with this board.

but my question is i was also luckey enough to walk away with 3x2gb cosair ddr3 memory. and seeing how there is no amd board with tripple channel memmory what should i do about my memory situation to get it to run in dual channel setup?

i also won one(amd was giving them out like candy there) and i think i may go with this board.

but my question is i was also luckey enough to walk away with 3x2gb cosair ddr3 memory. and seeing how there is no amd board with tripple channel memmory what should i do about my memory situation to get it to run in dual channel setup?

you can use all 3 sticks.. they just will end up in single channel mode which isnt a big deal.. its only about an 8-10% performance difference between single and dual channel.. and hell i bet you can find a matching 4th stick on newegg for cheap..

How do the ganged and unganged settings come in to play? It was my understanding that unganged provides the best performance and is inherently single channel.

you can use all 3 sticks.. they just will end up in single channel mode which isnt a big deal.. its only about an 8-10% performance difference between single and dual channel.. and hell i bet you can find a matching 4th stick on newegg for cheap..

could i just use a stick from another companey? as long as i use the same speed and timmings? because i couldnt find a single 2gb stick of cosair xms

Back