Woman Jailed After 'Killing' Virtual Husband

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh those zany Japanese! Always throwing someone in jail for “killing” their virtual spouse. Wait. What?!?

A 43-year-old player in a virtual game world became so angry about her sudden divorce from her online husband that she logged on with his password and killed his digital persona, police said Thursday. The woman, who has been jailed on suspicion of illegally accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data, used his ID and password to log onto the popular interactive game "Maple Story" to carry out the virtual murder in May.

*scrambles onto the computer, to change my password to the Maple Story"

wow, wtf....I guess identity thefts cover your virtual "id"

LOL at our world for this even being reported, much less actually happening.

Rofl I am so pressing charges against those guys who hacked my D2 account years ago.. they deleted my totally pimped out Hammerdin after they stole my Enigma. :(

There is only one way to get justice, kill her virtual character if she has one. If not, create one and kill it!

Man, what is this world coming to?

She has not yet been formally charged. If convicted, she could face up to five years in prison or a fine up to $5,000.
Can't wait until we start living our whole lives in pods and we're used as batteries :eek:

Rofl I am so pressing charges against those guys who hacked my D2 account years ago.. they deleted my totally pimped out Hammerdin after they stole my Enigma. :(

I just let my 5 mule accounts that expired that had pretty much top level shizzle and rune word made weapons and outfits.

What I want to know is: if he respawns and she kills him again, does she get double time?

this is unacceptable! she should definately get the virtual chair, or or at least some caining or whatever they do over there...

I can see the purpose of laws regarding "illegal computer access", but giving someone 5 years or $5,000 files is excessive for this.

I mean, how many cars have been keyed, or other property damage when someone is angry with their significant other. I'm not that familiar with the law, but are those prosecutable offenses? I think this is something along those lines. Hopefully the judge can see that.

A lot better to kill a virtual character than to kill the person behind the character.

So with this new presidence, I wonder if I can sue people for hacking in FPS games?

internet_serious_business.jpg

He was stupid in the first place for giving anyone else his login information. Even my wife doesn't have my password for my Warhammer Online account.

I'm waiting for Jack(ass) Thompson to crawl out of his cave and make a comment publicly about this ROFL.

I can see the purpose of laws regarding "illegal computer access", but giving someone 5 years or $5,000 files is excessive for this.

I mean, how many cars have been keyed, or other property damage when someone is angry with their significant other. I'm not that familiar with the law, but are those prosecutable offenses? I think this is something along those lines. Hopefully the judge can see that.

I forced a friend to press charges against an ex who threw a brick through his windshield... She got a token fine, a record, and in a subsequent civil suit, was required to pay about 800$ in repairs.

Lol...You can't "kill" an avatar in Maplestory like suicide or something since they'll just respawn, more like permanently delete.

And with regards to that image that was posted, wtf? Are those two guys thinking of doing something after punching her in the image? (With respect to the original situation and not the implied text)

Well, it's probably up to 5 years or up to $5k in fines. Yes, you can prosecute when a loved one if they damage your property. There are some F'ed up people in the world.

Maybe this lady will get a lenient judge in her case. But logging on to an online account that isn't your own should be a big deal. Some people spend days making an online character and to have it hijacked sucks. What if it was a WoW account were you're paying for monthly service? Or someone logged into your medical insurance records, bank account, etc? It's like someone breaking into your house and snooping around.

I feel bad for the woman :( All that fuss... and the character probably got restored.

Common this going to far, we take ourselves way too seriously these days! This guy needs to buy a sense humor or steal one, do whatever takes! If were her I would pissed if I had pay a single dime!!!

Point in case. Nobody, I say Nobody, knows my log in info to my games. I die I take them with me!

Srsly? I'm at a loss. I thought I had a witty comment but... the story really speaks for itself.

Back