'Wolverine' Pirate Going To Prison

This is why I hate reading the news. This country has a serious common sense deficit.

"The federal governmnet takes movie piracy very seriously," assistant U.S. attorney Lisa Feldman tells us.
"The fact that we prosecuted this case demonstrates the government's effort to work for the entertainment industry in combatting such intellectual property crimes."

fixed

The government simply doesn't understand the concept of priorities.

Either that, or the xxAA's lobbyists paid to have it removed from the dictionary.

glad serious criminals like this are off the streets.

I feel safer already.

Yea, it's like when the government arrests the drug runners or drug "dealers" but the guy who does the first drug distribution? Untouchable.

The government is going to win the war on piracy just like it did with drugs.

Drugs is a pretty good parallel situation in some ways. Why anyone thinks there should be laws that force 2 people not to trade just because they happen not to like the product is beyond me. I'd have thought we would have learned when prohibition failed, but we continue to this day.

The reason there are drug gangs and the related violence and the reason for many of the "harder" drugs is because drugs aren't legal.

All drugs should be legalized, and users would follow the incentives to picking those drugs that give them the best high with the least downsides. Yes I'm sure some people would still use crystal meth and the other really bad drugs but it wouldn't be incentivized like it is now.

I guarantee that the more IP laws become restrictive the more bootlegging and other alternatives will be used to circumvent the restrictions. You'll see a similar negative black market develop as business raise costs of legitimate government due to their government granted status and people have to go to shadier channels to get what they want at the price they are willing to afford.

And yeah at some point you might be able to price piracy out of existence, but the costs will be huge erosions of privacy for everyone and a loss of freedom to adapt/modify/etc.

Back