WOL setup for car pc

spacetrader

2[H]4U
so we have technology to go to the moon, but wireless pci wol is still not possible i guess?

well, my idea is to take a regular wireless router, have it on all the time in my car, leave it plugged into the ethernet jack on the motherboard, and that way i should be able to send wake packets to it, and the wireless pci card in there can handle the actual networking since most wireless routers cant run as access points...

confusing?

confusing?

Pretty much, but you have a funny way to say things that I like.

so we have technology to go to the moon, but wireless pci wol is still not possible i guess?

Yes, it is possible, the technology is called Wake-up on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN).

well, my idea is to take a regular wireless router, have it on all the time in my car, leave it plugged into the ethernet jack on the motherboard, and that way i should be able to send wake packets to it, and the wireless pci card in there can handle the actual networking since most wireless routers cant run as access points...

Now I see what confused me. You are planning to have WoWLAN without using WoWLAN but the WoL feature on the ethernet card (and this makes perfect sense because you thought such technology did not exist). At first sight your arrangement should work properly, even if it would be more elegant to substitute the current wireless pci with a WoWLAN model and save the router... Easier said than done since WoWLAN is mostly (only?) implemented in mini-pci boards by Intel and I could not find a single normal-size adapter with this feature. Are you so lucky you put a laptop in your car? Because in this case for a few dollars a simple 3945 would solve all your problems.

Anyway let us know how your supercar is coming out before leaving for the moon!

TJ

scarily that all made perfect sense even the first time through.

ok well i could put a laptop in there, i probably should have actually because my x2 turion laptop has screen problems that i cannot fix for the life of me, but the vga out still works fine. actually the only reason i chose not to use it was its nagging bios screen about batteries and power supplys; you always have to hit enter to fully boot the machine... crappy for a automatic car pc.

even if there was a pci-to-minipci adapter, it wouldnt work because the motherboard doesnt keep pci devices on like it does with the ethernet port.

so, basically, my original idea is the best? or just fuck that and use an extra button/function on my remote car starter to use as wireless pc power action?

I have a lite-on wlan card with a WOL jack. Its atheros based. It was pulled from an HP.
I have it stashed with my other spare NICs in the event I ever need it.

its a wireless card? what motherboards power up pci devices under shutdown or hibernation?

Back