• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Woah...a few questions....

lesman

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 30, 2004
Messages
3,913
Ok, I was searcing around even more for some HDTV deals, and THIS TV from Best buy seems to be a great deal....tell me what you think! Now, here are my questions:

1.)the "crystal scan" stuff says it converts all signals to 1080i...now I know that 1080i is not liked by many, but I'm sure it'll look awesome to me when comparing it to the 480i I've seen for so long. now, it says it even converts 480i/p to 1080i....does this mean EVRYTHING? Like...will my DVD's be playing in 1080i? And also, I have digital cable, so will it convert my digital cable signal to 1080i?

2.) 1080i isn't THAT bad, is it? I mean, it's here for a reason, and it DOES look better than 480i, doesn't it?

I'm going to be using this mainly for the Xbox 360....which, of course, is what I am goiing to be watching the DVD movies on....so will this be good for what I am doing? Thanks a lot!

EDIT: as I've said, it says it converts *all* signals to 1080i....but then again it says it uses "progressive scanning"...what the hell? If "all signals" are converted to 1080i, then how the hell would there be progressive scanning?
 
Well, CRT HDTVs put out 1080i, so if you wanting 720p, you're gona have to get LCD/Plasma.

Yes, it converts everything. 1080i is the native resolution, so if something is 480i, it has to take it and convert it to 1080i then displays. If something is coming at 1080i, then it displays it directly.

480i vs 1080i, you're looking at about 2.25 better picture quality, so yes, its gona look a lot better.

Is it a good tv? Not sure. But for CRTs, sony is the best. I would either get the V34HS420 or the 34xs955.

the HS420 is a good tv, and is about the same price range. the 34xs955 is top of the line, suprerb tv, but is a little more (looking at $1400 online).
 
thanks so far, but whats up with the whole "progressive scanning" thing it says it has? what I dont get is that it says it converts everything to 1080i, but then it says it uses progressive scanning......1080i is an interlaced format, so I don't understand how it could use progressive scanning...maybe it converts signals to 1080i and then deinterlaces it? theoretically, would that create 1080p???? somehow I think I'm misunderstanding this...
 
What I don't understand is why LCDs would ever use interlacing to begin with..

As far as that CRT, most HDTV CRTs I have seen can display both 1080i and 480p or 540p.

I just don't understand why they do not have CRT HDTVs that can do 1080/720/480 interlaced and noninterlaced, like the many modes CRT computer monitors can do.
 
Just got off work bump...c'mon guys, show the love! :( I am currently wondering about why it says it converts everything to 1080i, but then again it says it uses progressive scanning....does it upconvert, then deinterlace to theoretically create a 1080p image, or am I sorely mistaken? I would also like to know of your 1080i experience, and if this TV will do me good for xbox 360 gaming/tv watching/dvd watching. Thanks. :)
 
lesman said:
Just got off work bump...c'mon guys, show the love! :( I am currently wondering about why it says it converts everything to 1080i, but then again it says it uses progressive scanning....does it upconvert, then deinterlace to theoretically create a 1080p image, or am I sorely mistaken? I would also like to know of your 1080i experience, and if this TV will do me good for xbox 360 gaming/tv watching/dvd watching. Thanks. :)
It definitely won't create 1080P, nor is it capable. Crt televisions aren't built with the capability of computer CRT monitors.

The whole "progressive scan" moniker they give it is partially just marketing. They call it "progressive scan" because it's capable of 480P. The call it "high definition" because it's capable of 1080i. On the other hand larger computer CRT monitors are capable of 1080P but for some reason that capability never trickled down to consumer television sets. Sucks but hey at least we have other technologies to turn to.

You sure you wouldn't be happier with a 32" LCD capable of 1280x720P or 1366x768P? Or even the newer LCD's capable of 1920x1080P (37" westinghouse etc etc)?
 
Back
Top