WMware Workstation 6.5.2 corrupting boot.ini and causing LSH Export errors?

xfile

Limp Gawd
If anyone can help, please do. I posted this over at VMWare's site too.

Hello all,

I am a novice VM user and soon-to-be ex-user if I can't find a solution. I recently started using Workstation 6.5.2. After a day or so of use, my PC indicates the boot.ini file is invalid and I my initial launch of the WinXP desktop sometimes generates an LSA Export error, as well as an error code related to the Sasser worm. (I also occasionally received a message that Data Execution Prevention had kicked in).

As several online scans and my local AV indicated no infection, I was highly doubtful of a worm infection. The laptop was problem free until the initial installation and subsequent use of Workstation 6.5.2. As part of my troubleshooting, I reformatted the laptop, reinstalled Win XP (32 bit), Office 2007, and Workstation 6.5.2. Within a day, the same errors appeared. I reformatted and reinstalled everything again, except for Workstation 6.5.2 - no problems for several days.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My specs:
HP laptop 6710b
Windows XP (32 bit) SP2, fully patched
2 Gig ram
Office 2007 w/SP2
McAfee AV

Last edited:
never heard of it and never seen it, and I run that version on 2 different XP 32 systems all the time.

Workstation was obtained from VMWare's website. All other software is legit too. (this is my work laptop)

I am problem-free for about a week now...the only variable now is VMWare....I haven't installed it yet.

-corrected typo, the error was actually LSA (not LSH)

-add'l info - there was a message relating to lsass.exe prior to the 60 automatic shutdown
- also, System Restore would no longer allow a successful restore and I wasn't able to perform a normal OS shutdown because I didn't have sufficient rights apparently

I would say vmware shouldnt be touching your bootini files at all for your main OS...

I think I have the issues worked out with the errors. Setting all VMware services to "Manual start" seems to keep the crashes from occurring.

The boot.ini problem appears to be the result of some network-related issue and the timing of the problem was coincidental.

Back