WMP 9,10 only dvd playback issues

thedude42

Limp Gawd
so, i usually don't play dvd's on my pc but i was messing around with a few things and found an interesting problem: windows media player will not play back smooth dvd video or audio. and this is ONLY with windows media player and ONLY with DVD's. other formats play fine in media player.

the symptoms are that the playback is not smooth in time, or that is, it seems like the movie plays fine for a few seconds, then jumps into the future a few seconds with a noticeable break in the picture and the audio. audio also has accompanying pops when it jumps forward more than other times.

i originally had 3 different dvd decoders recognized by WMP installed, so i systematically uninstalled everything but the nvidia pure decoder. same problem after rebooting. uninstalled the nvidia pure and installed the cyberlink decoder that was included with my video card (MSI 7800GT) and WMP did the exact same thing. the videos played fine in the cyperlink player, however. all the while VLC media player also played DVD's flawlessly.

so, i began 2 straight hours of uninstalling codecs, reinstalling aplications and drivers, searching for updates, changing settings, and generally finding new and interesting ways to make WMP perform playback. so far i have concluded the following:

-this is strictly a WMP issue conflicting with something on my system, either hardware, driver or codec related. no other media players capeable of DVD playback are effected.

-no matter what mpeg2 decoder is used, this problem persists.

-VLC does use directx hardware overlay for playback, so i have a feeling there is no problem with any of the directx components or hardware.

if anyone can shed any light on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. VLC is slick and uses less CPU time than WMP, but the interface isn't exactly friendly, so having options would definitely be my preference here.

-update: did some testing and *ahem* backed up a DVD i own to DVD-R and played it in media player..... plays back absolutely flawlessly. this is very strange since if it is the decoding that is causing the problem, then why isn't my CPU usage maxing out when playing the dvd in media player?

bump

more testing with additional DVD's have shown that this is most definitely a problem with CSS and windows media based decoders. i have searched high and low and can find nothing that references this problem specifically.

I was having similar problems. Give media player classic a shot. Works perfectly for me.

yeah, i don't know what the deal is, seems like free media players work better than WMP or any pay dvd player software. go figure. doesn't give me a very good impression of microsoft's ability to provide decent MM capeabilities when this crap happens with media player and a prefered decoder, and yet my xbox has no problem with dvd's.

Back