WMP 12/WMC7 music file issues

rhouck

2[H]4U
Having issues with WMP12/WMC7 reading some music files correctly. It has been working fine for a very long time and then all of a sudden... I started noticing some albums were missing. I removed all the media library folders and re-added them all... and there is a ton missing :( Rather, they are just all added under the "unknown artist" label. For some reason it will read the album art and play the files just fine but it won't read the rest of the tag data. A lot of these files are WMA Lossless (there are about 14,000 that are not reading correctly so I can't tell if there is any true pattern) and so there shouldn't be (and hasn't been for months and months...) any compatibility issues.

The problems are on my HTPC. I loaded up WMP12 and WMC7 on my desktop and the files load fine. So it *shouldn't* be a file problem, but rather some local/network issue.

The music files are all on my WHS.

Here is a picture (sorry for the size, need the text to be legible) of the bizarre problem.

4546411814_0fae6f7308_o.jpg

You can see that all of the tag data is read fine in Windows Explorer and clicking Properties shows the right info. But as soon as it is added to WMP12 and I click Properties on it, suddenly none of the tag info shows up. :confused:

I'm completely baffled and incredibly annoyed. Deleting and re-adding all the files didn't help, but is there some other way to clear the cache or something that I am missing?

Open to any ideas, thanks!

Update: The problem appears to be on an entire album/folder basis. I fixed one (the Stadium Arcadium album listed above) by opening the album in Tag&Rename and just resaving all the files (didn't make any changes). Suddenly it now works. Unfortunately, that doesn't really answer the question of why the files worked fine before on my other computers and also it's not a real great solution to have to do figure out every album that is having this issue... So still open to ideas.

Back