WMA codec

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
6,279
I tried to save my file as WMA but a message came up saying I don't have the codec. I downloaded WMP 10 and it still doesn't work. How do I fix this?

And heres what I dont understand:

My voice recorder saves files as WMA, I opened it up, edited it, and it wont save it! How is that possible, I must have the codec since it opened it in the first place, right?
 
OK, so you're using the windows voice recorder? and you can play it on windows media player.

What are you using to edit your voice? Some programs (like audacity) don't/can't support wma format
 
OK heres what I did:

I recorded a lecture using a digital voice recorder, I edit it with WavePad (a free program), and I tried to save it as a WMA file so I could play it on the voice recorder. But a message pops up saying that I dont have the codec to save it as a WMA file.
 
OK, google is our friend once again

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/support.html

P. WavePad will not save in WMA format

WMA is a proprietary format of Microsoft. While WavePad is capable of opening these files it will not save in WMA format.

Back to top

This is pretty much what I thought when I read your problem. Audacity won't save in wma format either.
 
I just found out my DVR also plays MP3 files, so I just saved the file as that and it works.
 
If you want to use WMA you can also save as WAV, and then get the free Microsoft Windows Media Encoder. It is a little tool for converting and capturing various Windows Media formats. That requires two steps though so if MP3 works, just use that and call it good unless there's a reason.
 
Back
Top