Wizardy Online Open Beta open!!

Brackle

Old Timer
Sounds interesting. Loved the old wizardy games....permadeath too!!

No idea if its good/bad graphics or plain shitty.

Just thought I would put it out there for people to try

wizardryonline.com

Last edited:
site is buggy, lets me log in but can't sign up for beta. thats SOE for you.

Sounds interesting. Loved the old wizardy games....permadeath too!!

No idea if its good/bad graphics or plain shitty.

Just thought I would put it out there for people to try

What does Wizardry Online have to do with the old Wizardry games?

What does Wizardry Online have to do with the old Wizardry games?

From what I understand. Sony bought the licensing and assests of the old wizardy games?

Anyway just made a dwarf fighter. And got a Bonus roll of 12 for stats!....

From what I understand. Sony bought the licensing and assests of the old wizardy games?

Anyway just made a dwarf fighter. And got a Bonus roll of 12 for stats!....

The Japanese Wizardry IP is what Sony is publishing. The assets for Wizardry 1-8 still belong to the Siroteks.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Brenda Braithwaite will make another attempt at KS ... their first attempt was flawed but the general idea was sound ... if they come back with a more professional and methodical push we might get a true spiritual successor to the original Wizardry games :)

Ill pass. Its SOE so you know they are slow as fuck to fix anything so when people start permanently dying to bugs, exploits and massive imbalances this game will die a horrible death.

Wizardry is unfortunately a game of the bygone era. While it certainly was influential (if not the most influential video game RPG ever, it's one of them), I don't think anything can really help it be popular to the newer gaming crowd, especially outside of Japan.

And sadly, it's because the game is based off the Japanese Wizardry IP that I'm not really excited about it. I guess I've never really been much of an anime fan.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Brenda Braithwaite will make another attempt at KS ... their first attempt was flawed but the general idea was sound ... if they come back with a more professional and methodical push we might get a true spiritual successor to the original Wizardry games :)

I would describe it more as she was fucking high when she ran that kickstarter. That said if they had their shit together on another one I'd be on board.

I would describe it more as she was fucking high when she ran that kickstarter. That said if they had their shit together on another one I'd be on board.

I will be generous and say their first attempt was naive (as opposed to arrogant ;) ) ... the KS model for well known developers is now shaping up ... if they follow it the next time they might succeed:

1. Have a concrete idea (if you must use a codename use something professional sounding, like "Project Eternity")
2. Do daily or every other day updates ... show progressively more info as you near the end of the campaign
3. Have some samples to show us ... not just story boards ... make detailed still shots or show animation test cases, models, etc
4. Have fun but be professional ... think of us like you would any other investor ... don't be cavalier if you want our money
5. Do a media blitz ... grant web interviews ... do YouTube videos ... stream things to keep interest

If you are wanting in the million+ range from your campaign you have to be methodical and professional about it ... they really dropped the ball and got lackadaisical (or as you said, maybe drunk or high) :cool:

Yea....this game wow.....talk about making a game off a name.

O well at least it was free to try

Wizardry is unfortunately a game of the bygone era. While it certainly was influential (if not the most influential video game RPG ever, it's one of them), I don't think anything can really help it be popular to the newer gaming crowd, especially outside of Japan.

And sadly, it's because the game is based off the Japanese Wizardry IP that I'm not really excited about it. I guess I've never really been much of an anime fan.

Wait... wha? What does anime have to do with it being Wizardry?

I managed to log in briefly amidst "unable to connect" errors and it looks like the servers are down for maintenance. I'll probably roll up a dwarf priest and fighter and experiment a bit with both when I'm able.

I got in a bit and wow, this game feels like it's one of those el cheapo "Asian" built grindfests, the dime a dozen games that are free to play that come out of korea and other markets and then ncsoft/perfect world throw them out for the western market.

Hell the game defaults at 1024x768 resolution and you can NOT Change this until you get in-game, then on top of this in order to chang ehte resolution you have to RESTART THE GAME.

The problem with this is that you normally have to sit at the "connect" screen for 10+ minutes (It puts you in a queue, so if you login and are staring at the "connect" screen you just have to wait, it'll go on eventually once you are queued in) and also SUPER ANNOYING is the menu music which you can not turn off (at least from what I've found), so the 10+ minutes you wait you can't alt-tab out an dwatch youtube videos, etc without the music playing.

My experience last night was basically d/l on steam, login to the SOE launcher, get into the game, wait 20 minutes, finally get in the game, see "Servers are coming down for maitence in 10 minutes." Make a character, keep rerolling to get a good "die roll" for extra points (This seems really pointless to me, I mean all you have to do is hit cancel and pick your race again, there's no reason you have to go for a low die roll), finally get into game for one minute, servers go down.

Relogin, wait 20 more minutes, get into game, finally figure out where to go to change the resolution, "You must close the game and restart for change sto take affect." Sigh.....

From the little game I did play (and only a very very little, not even combat or anything yet) it seemed so bland and very half assed designed. The cutscenes are text-based, and the text scrolls v e r y s l o w to th epoint you want to skip things but I didn't figure out if you can, I pressed every button I could think of and it wouldn't skip. It felt like I was reading to a three year old it was going so slow.

Played this game back in early CB

Unless they improved...Everything...Don't waste your time

Also, if going by Massively's article on their beta rundown, there is permadeath in this game, and you will have to start over once you die. When you die, your gear and items are lootable similar to Diablo 2 multiplayer. The game is open PvP.

Judging the game by it's menus, cutscenes, and UI/graphics I deleted the game from my Steam Library after 5 minutes of logging in. Game is junk.

So like...is anyone actually playing this now? Anyone here, I mean?

Messed around with it some tonight and the lag was pretty bad. Was rubber banding and warping all over. I like some of the multiclass / class change mechanics I'm seeing, but I'll probably wait a week before jumping back in.

They appeared to have cleaned up the lag and rubber banding issues - logon is pretty quick now too. The game plays pretty nice now. I have one toon at lvl 10 now. When you create your character you get a random number of bonus pts to distribute to stats. The average appears to be 7 pts. - but just so you know - it is possible to get up to 70 from what I read. There are pk'ers normally around the Auction Hall - they whack ya while you're browsing for items to buy/sell - lol. There is also a bounty system so you can put a 'hit' on said pk'ers.

If anyone checks this out on the US server - hit me up if ya need any help/info.

This game piqued my interest on Steam at it's launch. Never heard of it prior. It sounds really cool, but my experience with it has been utterly frustrating.

Aside from the log on issues it had(has? seems to be resolved for the most part), i got to the first dungeon (not tutorial one) and the game became instantly unplayable. I'd get 1 frame per *minute* if i'm lucky coupled with glitchy audio. I ended up getting killed by some mob, right in the first room, because I couldnt do anything.

The game ran fine in town, so my rig is kinda capable of playing it. So what's the deal?

I'd really like to get into this game, but this is just killing it for me.

Back