Wizardry Online by SOE

Kinsaras

2[H]4U
First I'm hearing about this

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2013/01/wizardry-online/

Sony Online Entertainment has had plenty of time to get this right. It is, after all, the creator of the two Everquest games and Planetside. SOE knows online gaming pretty well. For Wizardry Online however, it wanted to make it a bit more epic, I believe. That is why it has decided that only hardcore mode is available in Wizardry Online. Yep – when your characters die, they are dead.

Well this looks interesting. I am sure dieing is harder then in traditional MMO but all the people that have been crying about carebear MMOs this is your game.

Unfortunately it's nothing like the actual NA Wizardry games. That said, it may stand on its own if done well enough.

The HC mode immediately removes the casual crowd. I hope the game is awesome and that it get a strong enough following without the casuals.

I was excited and then I saw as one of the "three" great reasons to play,

"Amazing Anime Characters and Creatures!"

....WTF? Since when was Wizardy ANything to do with anime characters??? Why is that even a "great reason" to play?

Wizardry went anime when Sir-Tech died a horrible death and the Japanese raped the corpse of one of the greates cRPG IP's of all time.

Yeah you gotta just let Wizardry go. This isn't the Mad overlord or even tales of the forsaken land. This is just another generic anime game. Theres a demo of one on PSN you can check out. It's just a standard Jrpg in First person isometric view. Check out legend of Grimrock(I say Grimlock in my head) while we wait on paper sorceror and whatever that one is lego is hyping.

Yeah you gotta just let Wizardry go. This isn't the Mad overlord or even tales of the forsaken land. This is just another generic anime game. Theres a demo of one on PSN you can check out. It's just a standard Jrpg in First person isometric view. Check out legend of Grimrock(I say Grimlock in my head) while we wait on paper sorceror and whatever that one is lego is hyping.

I'll keep my Wizardry clutched firmly in my old fists till I die, thank you. Speaking of which, there should be a Grimoire demo out any day now... ;)

This is just another case of a large company buying an old IP and using it to sucker some people in due to the name nostalgia. Could be a great game, but a Wizardry game it is not.

You mean it is not a North American Wizardry Game.

It liekly fits within the wizardry games that are expected and have been played in japan, along with the various media that is tied in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry#Series_in_Japan

you could more or less consider there are 2 branches to the series, the classic North American Branch (dead).

And the Japanese Branch (alive, but completely different series of games), appears that it was based off a sort of bad translation miss-undertstanding of the earlier games.

I think i'll try it, looking forward to a truely hard mmo a little bit, with pure dungeon crawling, with some modern interface and gaming conviencies.

Sort of like old school Everquest or even the classic games, Like Bane of the Cosmic Forge(I got TPK'd a lot in that game)

I played in beta. Remember that terrible clunky feel that Age of Conan had? Yea, this certainly has a terrible feel to it. Floaty characters, really awkward WASD movement..it's stuff like that which drives me away from a game quickly.

I was excited and then I saw as one of the "three" great reasons to play,

"Amazing Anime Characters and Creatures!"

....WTF? Since when was Wizardy ANything to do with anime characters??? Why is that even a "great reason" to play?

LMAO...

I kind of want to give this a shot with some of my more hardcore, dumbass friends. Can't wait to see them rage when they die and lose all their shit.

I don't like the perm death at all because sooner or later you will have a connection issue and wham all your time lost. I would make a game it more like the old days of ultima online where if you die you could possibly loose all your gear.

Wired.com said:
The price is right for the game also – FREE. Just like SOE’s other MMORPGs, Wizardry Online is free to play online. Of course, there is a premium account that gamers can pay monthly for, but that will not give them a competitive advantage. Premium accounts will allow for great customization of the characters and a few other perks, but everyone will live and die by the same rules.

Of the Japanese developed Wizardry games, I've played and enjoyed Tale of the Forsaken Land and Labyrinth of Lost Souls. For free, I'll certainly give it a shot. Looks like Dwarf is a player race too. Double bonus.

Vanguard tried perma-death, didn't quite work out.
Don't expect perma-death to be commercially viable unless it's an optional game mode.

Back