With modern PSUs, is a UPS a must?

oymd

Weaksauce
I mean for protection from power surges and dips.....I mean acting as a STABILIZER...and not for the battery function

Every now and then, like half an hour, I hear a loud noise from the PSU...I'm positive its the current, which sucks in my area..(Lost my A-V receiver a few months ago...)

I don't care for having a few extra minutes with the PC when he current is cut, what I am asking about is if a UPS is necessary to provide a clean current to the PSU, to avoid any failures? Just like a stabilizer?

Thanks..

If you're worried about this you can get a line conditioner by itself and skip the UPS. Regardless unless you can find a really good deal on a UPS or line conditioner its not worth it. The UPS has much more value in the backup it provides than the actual conditioning of the power.

I have a high end Panamax for my home theater and computer. In all honesty it's a complete waste but I got it on a huge sale so whatever. Small price to pay for the wonderful placebo affect...plus the pretty blue amp and voltage displays!

Are there actually line conditioners that do under and over voltage protection that cost less than a UPS of the same VA? If so, could someone link please?

I always went with the option of a UPS, even for AV equipment, simply because it's cheaper and the UPS can correct undervoltage over overvoltage issues simply by switching to battery.

Use as few MOVs as possible. On some units, they don't even provide three-way MOV protection. Pretty cheap IMNSHO.

Back