With Core2Duo, is XP 64-bit worth it for playing games, or is regular fine?

Considering very few games offer a 64 bit version, and add in the possible driver incompatibilities, it's probably not worth it. All eyes are on Vista at this point to see if 64 bit Windows is ready for the masses. There have been countless threads on this subject, so I'm sure you'll find more than you'll ever feel like reading.

Considering very few games offer a 64 bit version, and add in the possible driver incompatibilities, it's probably not worth it. All eyes are on Vista at this point to see if 64 bit Windows is ready for the masses. There have been countless threads on this subject, so I'm sure you'll find more than you'll ever feel like reading.

QFT.

I recently bought a Core 2 Duo laptop so I run both XP x64 and Vista Business 64 with no issues and 100% hardware support. I don't play games, though, and that seems to be the predominant thing that people are giving a rat's ass about with Vista.

I paid for a 64 bit capable CPU, I intend to use that feature to its fullest, and I do. Not everyone can say that, nor will everyone agree, sooo...

YMMV.

For a lot of stuff under Vista 64, things happen - fast. I just yesterday finally got my registration key for WinRAR 3.62 which is multithreaded and under even though it's not a 64 bit archiver (and I damned well hope they come out with one), it's noticeably faster to me under a 64 bit OS than a 32 bit one. Recent testing with WinRAR 3.61 under Vista 32 and 64 showed marked gains in archiving performance with both RAR and ZIP compression - again, for me - when running under a 64 bit OS. Could have something to do with how a 64 bit OS addresses and allocates memory, I really can't say for certain. All I know is that archiving almost 4GB of random file content was about 35% faster under Vista 64 than Vista 32 using WinRAR 3.61.

Most people simply feel they have no need for a 64 bit OS since their 32 bit one(s) run just fine. That's cool, but as I said, I paid for a processor that can do 64 bit stuff, so I might as well use that ability with an OS that can take advantage of it.

I have XP64 and XP32 installed here and i use XP 64 about 5% of the time. There are just too many things that don't play nice with XP64. for instance.....

Can't get Flight simulator X to install.
Can't get paint shop pro to install
can't get my slr camera software to work.
etc, etc, etc.....

what does work works GREAT but there few like DVD burning, HL2, WOW.

I'd stick to 32bit for now.

Back