With a new GPU, should BIOS/CMOS be cleared?

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Coldblackice, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Coldblackice

Coldblackice [H]ard|Gawd

When upgrading to a new GPU (particularly a different generation), should one do a full BIOS reset, clearing the CMOS?

I ask because I'm getting artifacts on a brand new 290 Vapor-X, and came across suggestions elsewhere for doing a full BIOS/CMOS reset, as it could have something to do with DMI pool'ing and/or hardware addressing that may be in conflict.

Seems like a stretch to me, or at least that such would manifest by the card not displaying at all -- and not artifacting in a fully-booted Windows. My understanding was that once BIOS hands over control to the OS, it's not playing any active part in addressing and interaction anymore.

Oddly, the artifacts disappear when the AMD driver is uninstalled, going off the base standard VGA display.

2. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

not, BIOS shouldn't be cleared after a card installation.. at most what the user should do its unistall old drivers -> remove old card -> install new card -> install new drivers. and in some case a clean Install with DDU is recommended its the user is experiencing issues..

what kind of artifacting are you getting? fully 2D-3D, only 3D? only 2D?. a pic would help..

3. thebufenator

thebufenator [H]ard|Gawd

4. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

What is the power supply in the PC? The 290 Vapor-X should have a secondary bios on it as well. Can try switching the video card bios, has it been overclocked at all? What do the temps read with GPU-Z?

5. fanboy

fanboy [H]ard|Gawd

I been running video cards since 2002 and have owned over 40 different cards from both camps and have never needed an RMA or got a bad card because I always reset the cmos when i switch cards and made sure my power supply was enough for the job and of name brand.