Coldblackice
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Aug 14, 2010
- Messages
- 1,156
When upgrading to a new GPU (particularly a different generation), should one do a full BIOS reset, clearing the CMOS?
I ask because I'm getting artifacts on a brand new 290 Vapor-X, and came across suggestions elsewhere for doing a full BIOS/CMOS reset, as it could have something to do with DMI pool'ing and/or hardware addressing that may be in conflict.
Seems like a stretch to me, or at least that such would manifest by the card not displaying at all -- and not artifacting in a fully-booted Windows. My understanding was that once BIOS hands over control to the OS, it's not playing any active part in addressing and interaction anymore.
Oddly, the artifacts disappear when the AMD driver is uninstalled, going off the base standard VGA display.
I ask because I'm getting artifacts on a brand new 290 Vapor-X, and came across suggestions elsewhere for doing a full BIOS/CMOS reset, as it could have something to do with DMI pool'ing and/or hardware addressing that may be in conflict.
Seems like a stretch to me, or at least that such would manifest by the card not displaying at all -- and not artifacting in a fully-booted Windows. My understanding was that once BIOS hands over control to the OS, it's not playing any active part in addressing and interaction anymore.
Oddly, the artifacts disappear when the AMD driver is uninstalled, going off the base standard VGA display.