wirless roughter work as wirless card?

adan

Gawd
buddy just moved into a duplex, they have a delink di524 rougther, they got free free with a toshibia laptoop purchase. know the laptop has wirless alredy, but there home computer an emachone does not, know there neigbors said they can split the bill for there broadband with them, is there anyway to use the rougther to pick the signal up to send it to the pc? were pretty much just trying to be a cheapass and not have to buy a wirless card for the desktop

Why not run cat5 from the router to the non-wireless pc (the emachine) and connect wirelessly through the laptop? Wouldn't that solve the problem?

we have a cat5 form the emachine to the rougther, do u mena liek make the laptop broadcast to the rougther?

we cant run form the negbors rougther, would requite drilling hols threw walls, they dont want that

Much clearer now. You would need to have the laptop enable "internet connection sharing" (assuming it's running windows) and also set the router to work in Client Bridge mode (assuming that it's supported).

Yeah, I just looked through the manual and it doesn't look like it supports it. You could try and bring it back to Best Buy or whatever and see if they'll exchange it for a Linksys WRT54G (which I know supports this). Either that or pony up the cash for a wireless card. You can get a cheap B card for like $10 on ebay.

would it be possible then, to run a cat5 form the laptop to the rougther and use like i forgot what its called, internet shareing? aka like bridge it that way?

adan said:
would it be possible then, to run a cat5 form the laptop to the rougther and use like i forgot what its called, internet shareing?

The "router" does internet sharing, that's what just about all home market broadband routers are designed for..to share a single internet connection to up to 253 computers while in the default "gateway" mode.

So yes running a CAT line from the this neighbors router, to your buddies PC, would do the job. If drilling holes to run CAT line isn't an option...an option is to purchase a wireless NIC of sorts for this eMachine. Assuming that your buddies neighbors have a wireless router.

so i cant take wirless signal on the laptop, run a cat5 to the emachine or to the rogther?

Back