• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Wirless Alternative for 360, cheaper

provoko

Gawd
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
656
I'm looking for a cheaper wireless alternative than the official 360 wireless adapter.

I read about hacking a regular router and putting software called dd-wrt, but there's no simple way to buy the router you need that would be compatible.

I was thinking of a wireless bridge, but I don't know which would be compatible with 360.

Does anyone have their 360 wireless and what do you use?
 
pretty sure you can do a bridge, but never tried it. Google would probably provide specific model numbers that work.
 
I read about hacking a regular router and putting software called dd-wrt, but there's no simple way to buy the router you need that would be compatible.

I am not sure what you mean by this? Is newegg not simple? Watch this part right here pretty well and it should go on sale. They used to go on sale pretty regularly when I was looking to get one at least. I am not certain, but I think Tomato gives you the options you are looking for along with DD-WRT. Tomato from what I understand is a bit lower on features, but easier to use.


 
never seen anyone using anything buy a hard wired box, or a wireless adapter personally..

But a cheaper way out.. Buy a used one.

*cough* I have one *cough*
 
Any router that can be reconfigured as a bridge will work, and finding and flashing an existing router with dd-wrt or something similar usually isn't overly difficult. Just do your research to make sure its compatible first.
 
I use my old WRT54G with Tomato firmware in Wireless Ethernet Bridge mode. Its connected to my main router downstairs wirelessly, and my PC, server, 360, and PS3 are all wired into it.

Put up a WTB: WRT54G thread in the FS section, pick one up cheap and flash it with Tomato or DD-WRT and you are all set.
 
I use my old WRT54G with Tomato firmware in Wireless Ethernet Bridge mode. Its connected to my main router downstairs wirelessly, and my PC, server, 360, and PS3 are all wired into it.

Put up a WTB: WRT54G thread in the FS section, pick one up cheap and flash it with Tomato or DD-WRT and you are all set.

Make sure you get a WRT54G V1-V4 for tomato, I think they have v8.2 out now (according to their site). Any WRT54GL will work though, which is what I'd recommend.
 
Make sure you get a WRT54G V1-V4 for tomato, I think they have v8.2 out now (according to their site). Any WRT54GL will work though, which is what I'd recommend.

Ahh yes, forgot to mention that. The WRT54G took a nose dive in quality at version 5. Mine is a v4.1 and its great.
 
Why go through the trouble of basically trying to hack something? I have a Linksys WGA54G that I use to connect my dad's PC at his house to my network at my house which is about 300ft away. This is really the same thing you're trying to do with the 360. It's called a Wireless Gaming Adapter. I've never used it with a 360, but I used it with my PS2 once when I had some friends over and it worked fine. I'm sure you can find one on eBay or somewhere pretty cheap.
 
Why go through the trouble of basically trying to hack something? I have a Linksys WGA54G that I use to connect my dad's PC at his house to my network at my house which is about 300ft away. This is really the same thing you're trying to do with the 360. It's called a Wireless Gaming Adapter. I've never used it with a 360, but I used it with my PS2 once when I had some friends over and it worked fine. I'm sure you can find one on eBay or somewhere pretty cheap.

Clearly you have never done it. Its hardly hacking. Its no different then upgrading the firmware. If doing something like that scares you, then, well, wrong forum buddy! :D Not to mention your solution isn't very [H]...

Not to mention you will get more wired ports to hook up more devices(other consoles/BD Players/NMT's), the ability to up the signal strength of the radio (very helpful!), and the proven reliability of the WRT54G.

Mine running the newest Tomato firmware has had an uptime of almost 6 months without a hiccup.
 
The original poster didn't ask for all that. He may want it, as it sounds very enticing. But I'd just rather buy something as-is and it be more plug-n-play out of the box. He asked for a cheaper alternative than the Microsoft add-on, so I gave him my suggestion.
 
I use dd-wrt firmware on my buffalo router and it works great as a wireless gaming adapter for my 360. Its also lets me use the 360 as a media center extender
 
Another vote for the custom firmware route as the gaming adapters are equally priced if not more expensive than a compatible router.
 
A wireless bridge works just fine. I was using a buffalo G wireless bridge (no mods needed) until my new cables arrived after we moved into a new apt and my old cables were too short.

Can also get one of those airlink N routers frys.com seems to have on sale for $15-20 every few weeks since they are configurable in bridge mode without alteration.
 
People need to get it out of their heads that uploading a custom firmware is a mod. Thats just FUD.
 
Any wireless bridge should work.

I use a Linksys WRT54G flashed with DD-WRT. Flashing with DD-WRT is simple. And configuring it as a wireless bridge was easy, too. I picked up the router off craigslist for $30. If craigslist is big where you live I would look there for the router.
 
Lol flashing takes seriously 5 seconds. I got the $26 Asus a couple months ago...I'm sure it'll come back around. And oddly enough, the slickdeal post was pretty clear on flashing this, so tons of non-H users flashed it easily.

There is no excuse for any [H] user to be scared of flashing a router.
 
I have a WRT54G V6 flashed with DD-WRT 2.4 SP1 ... However Im running a long wire from the basement, out and up to my 3rd floor bedroom. Hmm... I do have a D-Link DWL-1000AP (802.11b) that I believe can act as a bridge. Amazon Link which I myself my try out.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top