Wiring new house.

shefron

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to wire my new house with a network that won't have to be upgraded for the next two levels of speed updates. I'm looking at doing fiber gigabit to the desktop at the house. Currently at work I have the fiber guy willing to make all the connection and test the network for signal lost and map it.

List of items I'm looking to need

Cisco router, can be ethernet to ethernet or ehternet to fiber
6 port fiber switch
2 1000fx fiber cards for computers
1000' ft spool of fiber
1000'ft spool of cat5

The cat5 will be dropped at the same time to each room for computers that are unable to use fiber or for when people bring computers over.

I was wondering if some people have some advice for me for equipment that would be good for this setup. I really don't wanna upgrade the wiring later on down the road, spend the extra now for easy of later.

Pull Category 6, then, not Category 5, if you're doing going to be doing FTD anyways.

I would do cat6 but since the cat5e is only for connnections not requiring gigabit connection. All my machines will be on fiber just when working on someone's computer will I need the cat5e connection.

Plus cat5e is 60 dollars for a 1000' spool while cat 6 is at least 130 dollars.

I would recommend cable tubing(can't remember the exact name). It's usually orange tubing you put in the walls before you drywall. Run your network cables inside the tubing and if you ever want to upgrade to something newer just pull it through the tube and pull out the old stuff.

Its stupid to run fiber to the desk in a home. The most you will ever see out of a regular PC is a couple hundred MB anyways. Jut run cat5e or cat6, and run an empty conduit alongside it. That way if 10 years from now there is some application that actually needs fiber, you can put some in then.

skylab said:
Its stupid to run fiber to the desk in a home. The most you will ever see out of a regular PC is a couple hundred MB anyways. Jut run cat5e or cat6, and run an empty conduit alongside it. That way if 10 years from now there is some application that actually needs fiber, you can put some in then.

There's a term for this: future-proofing.

Guys if I wasn't getting help from the guy for free and also a deal on the stuff then I would be running cat5 but I'm planning on not having to rewire the house in a couple of years. The house isn't a brand new house so I have to drop the wire down from the crawl space which in it self isn't fun. Say in 5 years all I have to do is change out the nics and switch to upgrade.

I know right now a computer can't flood a gigabit connection but we thought that about network speeds long time ago. Look at 10/100, we can drop that to its knees easy now days.

I'm just looking for advise on fiber equipment and not a flame war.

what the heck is a funny car? haha

Yea, if you want to run cat5 switch it to cat6, I am sure a new standard will come out in the future but thats your best bet for now.

Make sure you take lots of pics while installing all of this so we can all drool over your fiber.

shyne said:
what the heck is a funny car? haha

Yea, if you want to run cat5 switch it to cat6, I am sure a new standard will come out in the future but thats your best bet for now.

Make sure you take lots of pics while installing all of this so we can all drool over your fiber.

I agree cat6 makes the most sense, even if you are trying to "future proof" your set-up

The cat5 is only for running 10/100 while the fiber is the fast connection butI think I may go with cat 6 and fiber. Depending on the cost of the fiber stuff.

I don't think its even possible to run a funny car on 87 octane gas due to pre-ignition problems. It would be a good way to blow your engine up. Even my dodge stealth can't run on 87 :eek:

I run gigabit fibre throughout my house. I use Lancast "twister" units to convert the fibre to UTP. They (the converters) are very expensive, I was lucky enough to have worked at Lancast and dumpster-dived a bunch of engineering samples.

We're in a brand-new (15 month old) house here, but unfortunately it was about 75% done when we bought it. Meant I had to do wall drops and attic runs myself.

The fibre has a bunch of advantages over UTP. I don't have to worry about running it too close to the house wiring. It will ALWAYS support a true gigabit connection. It's thin and easy to run (but a bear to terminate properly, had to buy a kit). Here in lightning capital of the world I don't worry about piping big static charges all over the place, and storms don't knock my network down.

The smartest thing I've seen was a buddy of mine up north put 3 inch PVC pipes running to every room he figured would ever see anything electronic. He put thin nylon ropes in the pipes, each over twice as long as the run to the next room. When he wants to run something between rooms, he just ties it onto the rope and pulls it through, un-attaches it and pulls the rope back for the next run. When I moved he was thinking of a way he could use vaccum at one end to pull cables through, nifty idea but he'd have to run to every opening and plug it before turning the vac on.

Why exactly do you want fiber to your desktops?

you do know that there is no noticable speed difference between CAT6 gigabit and fiber gigabit. The main advantage of fiber over STP/UTP is that it doesn't create "noise" and the range is 1km, as CAT6 is only 100m.

You still have to upgrade fiber in the future just the same as UTP cable as speeds increase.

enforcer17 said:
Why exactly do you want fiber to your desktops?

you do know that there is no noticable speed difference between CAT6 gigabit and fiber gigabit. The main advantage of fiber over STP/UTP is that it doesn't create "noise" and the range is 1km, as CAT6 is only 100m.

You still have to upgrade fiber in the future just the same as UTP cable as speeds increase.

Fibre's main advantage is it doesn't PICK UP noise from things like electrical wiring, flourescant lamps, ceiling fans, electrical storms, etc. And, there is a very tiny loss in data quality over long distances (why you can run it almost a mile), although that wouldn't matter a lot inside a house.

Upgrade fibre to what? Faster fibre? Over short distances the same fibre that handles 100Mb will handle Terabit networking.

shefron PM me if you'd like to talk to someone with experience stringing houses with fibre.

Back