Wiring my new house HELP!!!

Spike..

Gawd
I recently bought a new house and i hate whoever wired it. in light of that ive decided to run eathernet, coax and phone to each room.
http://www.swhowto.com/images/tn_103-0376_IMG_text.jpg
this is a thrown togeather diagram of the physical layout.

Diagram.jpg

i want to be able to host lans without tripping over eathernet (x's represent the network jacks) so for the girage i am planning on doing wall plates on the walls and since i have exposed rafters just have eathernet come down from the celing in the middle of the girage. I want to have all of the routers physically in the network closet for easy troubleshooting. In terms of topology this is how i was planning on having it set up.

NetworkDiagram.jpg

What i have:
I allready own the router, switch, 1000 feet of cat 5 the crimper and ends.

What i Need:
I need to buy bulk rg6 & ends as well as the room plates and appropriate inserts. the rg6 splitter (are they all the same) and some sort of phone splitter which i currently know ziltch about.

I'm looking to do it as cheaply as possable. so if anyone has any tips/advice to save time or a penny it's apprecieated. Also some good links on wiring phonelines would be much apprecieated. I know you can use eathernet to do this, but im not sure how or any of the real details. at any rate thanks for reading/help and let me know what im missing on my list of stuff i need.

if anyone has any tips/advice to save time or a penny it's apprecieated
Usually money, time and project complexity form a constraint for the project. In many cases, saving money means that the project is likely to take more time, or will have to be of a smaller scope.

I advise you to improve your spelling. I applaud you for wanting to upgrade your house, I like that idea.

Looks like a good plan.

I would forego the crimped ends and put a patch panel in the closet and plates and jacks out in the rooms. Patch panels are pretty cheap and are worth it.

Cat5e would be fine for gigabit speeds as long as your crimps are good. That could save you a few bucks

Usually money, time and project complexity form a constraint for the project. In many cases, saving money means that the project is likely to take more time, or will have to be of a smaller scope.

I advise you to improve your spelling. I applaud you for wanting to upgrade your house, I like that idea.

:p the improvement of my spelling is my next big project, im 19 and just bought my first house so im a little financially maxed. Hopefully once i finish my big projects around the house ill put in my financial aide and hit the books.

Make sure that your initial router is pretty beefy... I know I had originally had my wireless router as what connected to my modem and it seemed to have problems moving data around efficiently throughout my network, and it actually locked up or caused the wireless to poop out. The problem fixed itself when I purchased a non wireless gigabit router to do DHCP and then have the wireless connected to it just doing wireless. I also got better transfers using my gigabit switch off of a non wireless router??? Don't know if it was faulty hardware but it now works great for me so? Just keep it in mind if you start having problems with your router locking or losing wireless.

Make sure that your initial router is pretty beefy... I know I had originally had my wireless router as what connected to my modem and it seemed to have problems moving data around efficiently throughout my network, and it actually locked up or caused the wireless to poop out. The problem fixed itself when I purchased a non wireless gigabit router to do DHCP and then have the wireless connected to it just doing wireless. I also got better transfers using my gigabit switch off of a non wireless router??? Don't know if it was faulty hardware but it now works great for me so? Just keep it in mind if you start having problems with your router locking or losing wireless.

Thats why you have a router and plug it into a switch. your router should only route traffic leaving your network and your switch can handle all of your internal traffic.. but good point

I'll be using a D-link di 524 that i happened to get free when i bought my laptop, i havent had any issues whth it thus far and honestly the girage switch won't be used a lot. If i do have issues ill keep the router in mind, i was thinking of moving to gigabit as my backbone, but my girl has the knife in my back and is screaming "Cheap Cheap!!" so i suppose ill give it a go and see how it works out. thanks for the comments so far everyone, don't suppose anyone else has any helpful links on phone networking???

edit: also does anyone know of any good gigabit routers in terms of bang to the buck???

Whenever people want suggestions for a gigabit router... I usually suggest the D-link DGL-4100.

/Off Topic

Girage is spelled wrong, it should be spelled G"a"rage !!

/On Topic

/Off Topic

Girage is spelled wrong, it should be spelled G"a"rage !!

/On Topic

I'll keep that in m"i"nd, very helpful. Now i dont need to start a thread asking how to spell.

the 2 places i picked up the stuff for doing this in my house was

http://www.cat6cableguy.com/keystone_jacks_cat3_cat5e_cat6?b=1

and

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10513&style=

I used cuplers so i didnt have to do punchdowns, but i later tryed the tooless connectors and they did a great job. They would also save you money

Thanks for the link. The monoprice one was especially helpful :p i'm going to likely end up droping a hundred there. I'll let everyone know how it turns out once i have it finished.

A few tips from someone who has done way too much cabling:
1) use solid cable for everything in the walls
2) label everything!
3) terminate to a patch panel in a central location
4) use fixed wallplates with jacks at all outlet locations
(aka do not just crimp plugs on both ends of the cable)
5) test everything
6) take pics for us to see :)

A few tips from someone who has done way too much cabling:
1) use solid cable for everything in the walls
2) label everything!
3) terminate to a patch panel in a central location
4) use fixed wallplates with jacks at all outlet locations
(aka do not just crimp plugs on both ends of the cable)
5) test everything
6) take pics for us to see :)

Good advice, thus far out of advice ive got on the forum im making the following changes to my origonal plan.
1) im going to use a patch panel
2) i am likely going to use a gigabit router as my network backbone
3) Im going to take lots of pics.

just curious, did you run solid cable throughout the house? I saw you just had plugs crimped right on...

just curious, did you run solid cable throughout the house? I saw you just had plugs crimped right on...

I am running cat 5 e throughout the house. I happened to have a 1000 foot spool from a lan party a while back. im going to use some of the tooless plugs for the wall plates and run it all to a patch board in a central closet.

Back