Wiring 6 fans for a WC setup

I am going to be trying my hand at a WC setup and I am curious what you guys do to wire all those fans in. There is a level of difficulty though because I am using a fan controller that lets me adjust the voltage of my fans. I figure it would be best if I gave you my setup and you could just tell me what the best way to wire it is.

BFG GeForce 8800GT OC2 512MB GDDR3
Silverstone Temjin TJ07-B Black E-ATX Aluminum Case
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ
ASUS Maximus Formula LGA775 X38 ATX DDR2
G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad 750W
Aerocool Cool Panel II http://www.aerocool.us/p-peripheral/coolpanel2/coolpanel2.htm

Water cooling parts:
- Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs
- D-TEK Customs Fuzion CPU Water Block S478/LGA775/S939/AM2/S754 1/2IN Barbs
- Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded
- Masterkleer Pvc Tubing 7/16IN ID 5/9IN OD 10 Feet
- Danger Den Cooling System Fillport Black W/ Wrench
- 6 x YATE LOON 120x120x20mm Case Fan - D12SM-12C Medium Speed

get a waterblock for your 8800GT and you won't need 6 fans!

the yate loons wire togethor so you can easily wire the ones on the radiator togethor and feed one plug into your case for power.

Dunno what you're using the other fans for, but i'd say it's overkill... if you put that 8800gt on water it won't be cooking your case and you'll only need one 120mm fan on your case in addition to however many fans you have on your radiator.

I have an 8800gt too, it's VERY worth it to put it in your water loop. I have the same pump as you as well, it can handle it with zero problems.

Other thoughts: you'll probably need a T connector to make use of the fill port.

get a waterblock for your 8800GT and you won't need 6 fans!

the yate loons wire togethor so you can easily wire the ones on the radiator togethor and feed one plug into your case for power.

Dunno what you're using the other fans for, but i'd say it's overkill... if you put that 8800gt on water it won't be cooking your case and you'll only need one 120mm fan on your case in addition to however many fans you have on your radiator.

I have an 8800gt too, it's VERY worth it to put it in your water loop. I have the same pump as you as well, it can handle it with zero problems.

Other thoughts: you'll probably need a T connector to make use of the fill port.

Actually that is exactly what my plan is. I got the WC loop from my wife at xmas and she got the EK GTS block by accident. So I returned it and put the money towards the rest of the system. I will get the correct waterblock when Direct Canada Computers gets them in stock.

Regarding the fans...
I just want to make sure that all of the fans fun at the same speed and voltage. Am I correct to assume that if I daisy chain all of the fans together and plug the end in my fan controller, then whatever it reads on the fan controller is the correct voltage and RPM for all of the fans?

I am going for a silent overclock here so I want to have a big rad with lots of fans running really quietly.I will take care of the video card when I can get to it. I still have to build everything (it just shipped yesterday). I will pick up a t connection this weekend when I pick up the distilled water, sleeving and shrink tubing, AS5, and anything else i need.

Actually that is exactly what my plan is. I got the WC loop from my wife at xmas and she got the EK GTS block by accident. So I returned it and put the money towards the rest of the system. I will get the correct waterblock when Direct Canada Computers gets them in stock.

Wow... Your wife bought you watercooling stuff? My girlfriend almost had a heart attack when she realized there was water in my computer. D:

Regarding the fans...
I just want to make sure that all of the fans fun at the same speed and voltage. Am I correct to assume that if I daisy chain all of the fans together and plug the end in my fan controller, then whatever it reads on the fan controller is the correct voltage and RPM for all of the fans?

QUOTE]

Anyone? Can my fan headers handle that kind of draw without voltage drop? What do you guys do? seperate headers for each fan or all into one?

Regarding the fans...

Anyone? Can my fan headers handle that kind of draw without voltage drop? What do you guys do? seperate headers for each fan or all into one?

I chain all of mine without power issues, do not know what the fan controller will read though.

I setup all 6 of the fans and it is a wireing mess. There are molex connections everywhere. So I have an idea. What would happen if I used only the three wire. three pin connections and cut the molex connections off? Essentially what I want to do is take all of the red wires and solder them in series (or parallel, i'll look into which one). I would do this for the yellow and black wires as well so I end up with a single three wire. three pin fan connection.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this idea? Would this allow me the ability to monitor the RPM of the fans?

Yes, you can do this but never try to solder the yellow ones together. Just pick a single yellow from a fan and monitor this one then cut off the others.

I have to think there is an easier way to handle this. I've seen a lot of people's WC setups and their wiring and theirs aren't messy.

I have used my mad paint skills to draw a diagram of what I would like to do.

This is a bottom view of my rad with all of the fans and the way I would like to wire them.

radfansetup.jpg

I have used my mad paint skills to draw a diagram of what I would like to do.

This is a bottom view of my rad with all of the fans and the way I would like to wire them.

radfansetup.jpg

Yes, that's the correct way. However, don't try to plug this on a motherboard fan header since it will draw too much current. Just connect them directly to a molex (with the fan rpm wire being separate).

Yes, that's the correct way. However, don't try to plug this on a motherboard fan header since it will draw too much current. Just connect them directly to a molex (with the fan rpm wire being separate).

Hmmmm. What I would like to do is to plug this into my fan controller so I can under volt the fans. I dont know what kind of draw my fan controller can handle (anyone know?). Should I just split the sides (i.e wire each side seperately) and use two of the fan headers from my controller?

Depends on what fan controller. Some can handle 20w, others 30 but there is also a lot who cannot handle more than 10w. A safer way is to split it in 2 (3 fans row on a header).

Back