Wireless Xbox controller receiver for windows just stopped working

peppergomez

2[H]4U
Not sure what happened since I didn't drop it or anything like that. Had it about 5 years now. Now when I plug it in it's not recognized, and when I turn the controller on, it doesn't find my computer.

This adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless...words=xbox+wireless+adapter+for+windows&psc=1

I checked Network Adapters to see if the adapter would be recognized when I plug it in, but it's not. Tried it on another computer, and same result.

Is there any other way I can troubleshoot this to confirm whether or not I need to order a new one.

I obviously tried different batteries in the controller itself.

I notice there's in input on the front of the controller itself...maybe I can plug it directly into my computer if I purchase the correct cable? That might be preferrable to using the adapter.

I checked M$'s site for drivers and the latest OS they have drivers for is Windows 7. That's weird.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
you can uninstall the device, unplug it, plug it back in and reinstall the drivers. You do have to manually pick them. I have 2 of these one for each computer. I have found that one can be a bit finicky although latest version of windows seems to have stabilized it.

The link you provided has the steps to reinstall the drivers for it.

Set-Up Instructions for the Wireless Receiver (Windows OS)
  • Connect the receiver to a USB port on your PC
  • Open your system's device manager
  • Select "Unknown Device"
  • Select "Update Driver Software"
  • Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
  • Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
  • Select "Microsoft Common Controller For Windows Class," then click "Next"
  • Select "Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349 [8/13/2009]," then click "Next"
  • You will get a warning message; click "Yes"
  • Upon completion of the installation, you will see a message that reads "Windows has successfully updated your driver software"

thanks

Problem is, connecting the receiver results in nothing in Windows...no sign that anything has been plugged in

mine died too, not light, same age. yours light up? I ended up switching to wired xb1 controllers as the wireless 360 controllers I have only work wirelessly. if I connect the cable windows doesn't even see them. but if yours lights up id try different ports and check device manager for unknown devices. also, I had windows 10 try to replace the driver several times and manually reverting back to the win7 one fixed it.

It does't light up. The controller l;ights up looking for it, but the adapater...nada. Dead?

Thx, just ordered it. Yeah, it was in a backpack in my car in the summer heat for maybe 2 hours. Would that be a likely culprit?

I'd be willing to bet it was a cheap Chinese knockoff that died. They're known to die.\

edit
After clicking the link yes, it is the cheap Chinese knockoff.

Not sure what happened since I didn't drop it or anything like that. Had it about 5 years now. Now when I plug it in it's not recognized, and when I turn the controller on, it doesn't find my computer.

This adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless...words=xbox+wireless+adapter+for+windows&psc=1

I checked Network Adapters to see if the adapter would be recognized when I plug it in, but it's not. Tried it on another computer, and same result.

Is there any other way I can troubleshoot this to confirm whether or not I need to order a new one.

I obviously tried different batteries in the controller itself.

I notice there's in input on the front of the controller itself...maybe I can plug it directly into my computer if I purchase the correct cable? That might be preferrable to using the adapter.

I checked M$'s site for drivers and the latest OS they have drivers for is Windows 7. That's weird.

Just an FYI, the connector on the Wireless 360 controllers is only for power, will not connect as a device to the PC.
Cable comes with the Play N Charge kit I believe.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You're right Zepher it's just a charging port for the plug n charge kit.

Only the wired 360 controller can be plugged in and used which is what I prefer. Much less hassle.

You're right Zepher it's just a charging port for the plug n charge kit.

Only the wired 360 controller can be plugged in and used which is what I prefer. Much less hassle.

I have a wired one here, but it was only used with the Xim3 when using a mouse and keyboard on the 360.
I still remember playing my sisters old boyfriend online in COD on Nuketown. I am not good with a controller so I was getting my ass handed to me, told him to hold on a sec while I change some settings.
grabbed the Xim3, a keyboard and mouse, and just tore his ass up, lol. He was claiming I was using some aim hack or something and was getting pretty pissed.

Hey folks

So I got my replacement receiver - it's the correct one, and it lights up when I plug it in and is recognized by my computer. The Xbox controller however is not finding it. I have changed the batteries, tried it on two different computers, made sure the software is installed, and pressed the reset button on the controller. No joy.

Any advice?

press the button on the receiver until the lights flash the hold the sync button on the controller until it syncs. that's all that's is supposed to take.

May have a faulty receiver then if you are doing the procedure correctly and it's not syncing.

I just resynced mine a couple of times, it's nearly instant each time.

Back