Wireless Vs. Wired Mice

FX25

Weaksauce
Hey i wanna get some points on wireless mice and how goot they are. i am mostly a gamer. i mostly wanna know about responce times and Mouse Lag. I am looking at the MX700.

i am using the wired version(mx500) and i just plain like the crap out of it:). i dont know about response time on the 700 but i hear that they are very good. i was going to buy one and decided to save $30 bucks and get the wired one. didnt seem worth the money to pay the extra.
DC

There really is no such thing as mouse lag, people who bitch about it are probably just looking for an excuse

I know the MX510 just came out, which is the gamer version of the MX500. Are they coming out with a MX710? If so it might be worth the wait, I've heard good things about the 510

edit: I'll admit the above post isn't correct and i apologize, but let me clarify. We're not talking about some no name wireless mouse, the MX700 is a good product and in my opinion the mouse lag isn't noticeable. Every mouse has lag, but you could measure the time it takes light from your monitor to reach your eyes and call it lag. If you cant notice it, lets just say it doesn't have lag.

I hope that clears up all the lol Internet drama.

people that dont know what they are talking about need not reply, (see above post)

The mx700 is definately a great mouse for gaming. I tried it out and it works really well. No lag whatsoever. A bit on the heavy side compared to the mx500, but it is very easy to get use to.

I use the MX700 Daily. Let me tell you, when you use it, you will never want another mouse again. First off, let me say that Logitech is great. 5 year warrantys after the store warranty. If you break it, or it breaks, you call them and tell them it doesnt track. They send you one, and dont even ask for you to send the broken item back.

The dual tracking system will work on any surface, with perfect precision. I use a Ratpadz GS, but it will work on anything.

It is heavy, but it fits in your hand so nice, you wont mind it. Also, I love the idea about recharging batteries at the base. 10 minutes on this bad boy, and the charge will last all day long.

The only problems with this mouse are that the USB cable on the base is short, so the PC has to be within 36" i think. Also, you may encounter if it stretches, the USB connection falls out of socket easily. So as long as you dont rearrange your desk a lot, you should be fine.

I went with the MX500 because it was lighter, didn't need to be recharged, and $30 cheaper.

I have no need for a wireless mouse.

Just ask yourself, "How would I benefit by not having a wire attached to my mouse?"

If you can't think of a reason, then don't bother spending the extra money.

There is no doubt that they are both terrific mice, but you need to buy the one that suits your needs.

I think I'm gonna buy a MX310 to replace my super old MS Explorer Wired Mouse..

I went wireless a long time ago ( the mouseman optical) and just like contacts vs. eyeglasses, I will NEVER go back. If I hadnt bought this so soon before the MX rechargeable base set-up can out, I would have bought the mx700. Even with this one, I have no problems gaming.:D

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
IJust ask yourself, "How would I benefit by not having a wire attached to my mouse?"

I agree 100%. My reason was the mouse cord tends to get in the way of everything short of the keyboard. Besides, the heavier mouse works good for me because I set mouse speed on high, and not having to pick up the mouse is just one great convenience.

But, a good reason would be your can of jolt or bawls will not be dropped from an enemy on your right in BF1942 with wireless. No wires, no hassle.

I have used the MX700 from not long after they came out. I still think it is the best mouse I have ever used and can not see myself using anything else.
The only problem I have had with it is when I bad the base to far from where I use it. It was not only the distance but also the stuff like monitor and speaker and cable modem in between them that was causing the problems.
After I moved it closer and less between them I have not had a problem.

In games it is great and teamed with my new ratpad here I could not ask for anything better.

Originally posted by bmartin
I agree 100%. My reason was the mouse cord tends to get in the way of everything short of the keyboard. Besides, the heavier mouse works good for me because I set mouse speed on high, and not having to pick up the mouse is just one great convenience.

But, a good reason would be your can of jolt or bawls will not be dropped from an enemy on your right in BF1942 with wireless. No wires, no hassle.
wires tends to get in the way during high action gaming where you cannot afford to take an extra two seconds out of a gunfight to untangle your hand from the mouse cord

There really is no such thing as mouse lag, people who bitch about it are probably just looking for an excuse
i bought a new keyboard, nice with lotsa functions.... it also came with a cheapo mouse so i decide to use that because its a set of black keyboard and mouse AND my other mouse is currently being modded.... now let me tell you, this mouse (although its optical) is like some crappy generic one and it SUCKS..... every once in a while, it just freezes and the cursor disappears, and i push it around and then the cursor comes back and then it works again.... by the way, i am not using it on a crappy computer..... i m only using this mouse right now because the color pairs nicely with my keyboard and my original mouse is in modding.......................... just goes to show you that there is such a thing as mouse lag.... i ve used and own a LOT of mouses so i have experience and know that this is really lagging and mouse lags exist

people that dont know what they are talking about need not reply, (see above post)
DITTO:(

There is a thing called mouse lag. I recently bought a MS Intellimouse 2.0 wireless optical, and cant game with it. You move the mouse, and a few ms later, the cursor moves. I tried both PS2 and USB ports with no differance. My other mouse, a wired MS optical, has very little to no lag. Try to test a wireless mouse before buying.

Originally posted by ADINSX
LOL yeah OK !!!!!

I have tried both the wired and wireless There is a small diference in response time, but it is hardly noticable , I play mostly FPS, so I stuck with the wired. I was switching back and forth between the 2 for about a week, before I settled on the wired one.

Originally posted by saturnine2
Try to test a wireless mouse before buying.
Or just buy the logitech MX700 if you want wireless, if you can't try a different one out. There seems to be NO complaint of lag with em.

Are you sure you have a mouse? If there were no such thing, EVERYONE would use the generic mice. Hell, who needs optical mice when the ball does just fine, eh? WRONG.

tracking software has improved because of complaints of mouse lag. PS-2 is almost (not completely yet) obsolete because of slow speeds being sent through pin 1 (i beleive) to the controller.

next thing you know, we will be hearing, there is no such thing as bottlenecks. 5400rpm's are all anyone will ever need.

people who say things like this own geo metros.:D

the MX700 is the shiat! I was afraid about some delay too, but there is no delay at all. The batteries last a damn long time, and having no cord rules. The one and only issue is remembering to put it on the charge base every so often.

Originally posted by Shadey216
the MX700 is the shiat! The one and only issue is remembering to put it on the charge base every so often.

And the little red light reminds you when you need to, so that issue isnt really that bad.

Originally posted by FX25

Why even post a question if you refuse to listen to answers? At least in the case of the Logitech MX-series, mouse lag IS non-existant, and the MX700s are still the reigning champions, wired OR wireless, of gaming mice.

Originally posted by bmartin
sorry, didnt mean tracking software, I meant tracking hardware.

There IS an "Edit" button, mate.

For wireless the MX700 is king. I had a few other wireless mice, and most of htem sucked badly.

For wired, I'm still a fan of the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. Just a good all around mouse, for little cash. It also doesn't look so nasty when it's been worn heavily like my logitech is...the silver paint is wearing off and looks this dingy shade of grey.

mad, when you try to back up an idiot it just make you look like one. i looked over his post and he had no idea what he was talking about. i know for a fact that a wired or a wireless mouse can not send a signal to the computer in NO time, there is lag with every mouse and it is even more with wireless mice, the question i wanted answered is if the difference was noticeable.

I suppose my first post was unclear, if you dont buy a gerneric no name brand wireless mouse for 15 dollers at walmart you should experence any problems. I've been gaming for some time now and everyone in my clan who's tried a good wireless mouse has had no complaints

there is lag with every mouse and it is even more with wireless mice, the question i wanted answered is if the difference was noticeable.

if thats your question then no, it isnt noticeable

Right, I happen to have a Logitech wireless three button mouse and has horrible, horrible lag. Make sure you know what the fuck you are talking about before running your mouth off about people.

That being said, you have only 4 posts, and you deserve that very title written across your forehead.

mad, when you try to back up an idiot it just make you look like one.

Like you're in a position to comment about what makes an idiot.

Lay off Mad, he was just helping.

mad, when you try to back up an idiot it just make you look like one. i looked over his post and he had no idea what he was talking about. i know for a fact that a wired or a wireless mouse can not send a signal to the computer in NO time, there is lag with every mouse and it is even more with wireless mice, the question i wanted answered is if the difference was noticeable.

And with MX-mice, it is not:p I think MS might have a decent product out with its lates Intellimouse but I have not used it. However, I do know that the MX700 is a great mouse from experience. I switched to it after using an Intellimouse 3.0 for a while, and the lag is not noticeable, the movement is accurate and precise, the mouse is solidly built, and it looks/feels very cool.

Edited to address:
Originally posted by MooCow
Right, I happen to have a Logitech wireless three button mouse and has horrible, horrible lag. Make sure you know what the fuck you are talking about before running your mouth off about people.

That being said, you have only 4 posts, and you deserve that very title written across your forehead.

Is that mouse an MX-mouse?

Well my 2 cents is that if your a gamer and you dont game from across your room why are you buying a wireless mouse? If what you want to do involves leaving your desktop then the MX700 is the best for wireless. Some people say they have more freedom with a cordless mouse and that the cord doesn't get in the way but all the time i've been useing corded mice i've never had a problem with the cord getting in the way. I think some people just need to rearrange their desk. But if you sit at your desk and game then i urge you to just pick up an MX500 or the sexy new and even better MX510. The MX700 may have the same specs as the MX500 but what people dont realize is that the MX700 as with any wireless mouse must decode the wireless signal while a corded mouse does not experience such delays. Most will say they dont notice any lag with the MX700 but it depends alot on what you do and quite a few people have posted on this forum and i have seen in several reviews of the MX500 vs MX700 where they noticed a slight lag in performance especially when moving the mouse very quickly back and forth or clicking the buttons really fast. Plus you have to take the time to recharge it and remember to keep it charged and possibly buy rechargeable batteries for it every 6-12 months.

I bought a wired Mouseman dual optical. Best mouse ever, i love its weight and size. The cord doesnt matter to me at all. Thus, kickass cheap mouse for me:) The MX700 is next on my list though.

I suppose my first post was unclear, if you dont buy a gerneric no name brand wireless mouse for 15 dollers at walmart you should experence any problems. I've been gaming for some time now and everyone in my clan who's tried a good wireless mouse has had no complaints
HA, remember a while ago newegg had this ball PS/2 mouse for $0.01? ......thats right, one penny

i bought that

works great, no problems

just to prove that generic brands doesnt necessarily mean it has problems

Trackball all the way :)

Once you convert and get away from those wrist killing, real estate stealing mice and move to a trackball, there is no going back.

Originally posted by burningrave101
Well my 2 cents is that if your a gamer and you dont game from across your room why are you buying a wireless mouse?

I usee it for my regular desk. It's not about bad organization or anything, just my desk uses a keyboard drawer, and the clearance of the drawer is less than most. My mouse on a everglide gaming mat is less than a finger's height from hitting the bottom of my desk. Maybe 2" of clearance...that makes for very bad cable management options. Sure I could buy a new desk, but getting a wireless mouse is cheaper.

Yeah, the MX700 is almost like having a wired mouse. It does act weird on the everglide gaming mat if it's all sweaty, so at least have a washcloth or something to dry the pad occaisionally.

For portability, the MX700 is beat by wired mice. Carrying both the mouse and the giant chager base and wall plug is a bit much, but for just using around home, it's great.

MX700 is the best mouse I've ever used, The weight is fine once you get used to it. I recommend it to all my friends.

Oh and there is NO lag at all. And a charge lasts me usually a week at a time :)

Cords aren't really an issue for me. I am not going to pay more for the same mouse just because it's cordless.

Love my MX700, 0 lag. I like it better than my MX500, sortof reminds me of that Best Buy commerical, you know with the dummy and the wireless laptop.

I have an MX700...but my MS Multimedia Keyboard died on me. I went out and bought the MS Wireless Desktop Elite. I thought it would be an easy transition, being the keyboards are nearly identical, and I had an Intellimouse Explorer before I recieved the MX700 as a gift.

Let me tell you, its mice like the one that come with the Desktop Elite combo that give wireless mice a bad name. It it absolutely horrible, it's always losing tracking and responsiveness. Especially if you let it sit idle for a while, it will goto sleep on you, and doesn't like waking up. I've given this combo about a week, hoping I needed to get used to it, and that was all. I really think I'm going to take it back now, even though I love the keyboard.

If you put the reciever anywhere near anything electrical, it craps out and you lose signal quality(which leads to poor tracking).

Long live the MX700.

Back