Wireless USB thumb nic?

TrueBuckeye

Most valuable "member"
Anyone ever use a Wireless USB laptop adapter? My step-father bought a Dell laptop (B130) and they didn't know to get the built in wireless. So I came over with e pcmcia wireless card and the damn laptop has an ExpressCard slot, but no pcmcia slot.

Damnit Dell. You put a slot in that has almost no support to save a few bucks.

Anyway, I'm looking for other wireless solutions for his laptop and came across these. Have any of you used them? Did they suck or rock?

They are not as strong (catching the signal) as PCMCIA or built in wireless NICs up the back of the screen. But....looks like your only option...and if the intended use for the laptop is in an area that's not pushing the distance of wireless too much...then give it a go. They generally do "OK".

Just one note...(and this is kinda true with PCMCIA ones too)...laptops tend to be used hard, plopped in laps, on the thighs while semi-inclined in bed, on the sofa, tossed about...things sticking out of the laptop tend to end up bent/snapped off. And that's one thing to be careful about.

I use on for my computer downstairs... and the wirless router is upstair 2 stories (3 story appartment) and it gets decent signal.... It rarely goes out and pics up the wireless signal from the 2 apartments next to us too.... I used a belkin one i baught at Wally World.... I'm sure there's better....

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys. While it isn't an ideal solution, it sound good enough to try for $40.

Doesn't the laptop have a mini pci slot? You should be able to find something on ebay to drop in there for a decent price.

Back