Wireless to Ethernet

alumar

[H]ard|Gawd
Simple question,

I have a Wireless network in my house, in my garage i have a workroom, with a 5port hub and no wireless cards. If I buy a wireless bridge, can i plug it into the hub and bind it to my network, to allow computers to be plugged into the hub and get an IP?

So in essense want to take a wireless source and convert it back to ethernet in a specific location

I believe so. I have looked into doing this in my living room for my ReplayTV and future media server.

PS: You bastard ;)
"The Car: 2002 Porche 911 Conv. ; PES Tuning ECU ; Brembro Grand Turismo Brake Kit "

Bridging isn't part of any standard. uses the same modulation technology as .11b or .11g gear but doesn't have to recognize any compatibility standards. So, if your going to bridge best bet is to get equipment that is the same as your parent AP.

The setup you describe is exactly one of the two scenarios that wireless bridges are meant to address. Compatibility with your main AP porbably won't be an issue. However, make sure that the bridge you choose supports the functionality you describe by downloading the installation manual and reading up in advance. I happen to know that the Linksys Wireless G Brdige does support this function, but it's conceivable that some bridges were built to only support a single device at the remote location.

If your AP and the bridge support WDS bridging then you can feel pretty good about getting cross vendor equipment. If it's not running WDS, but does bridge, then do yourself a favor and get the same brand.

network.jpg

Please check image, this is my network, in visio. So I should be looking for a Wireless Bridge that supports WDS Bridging to switch over the wireless signal to ethernet? To a hub for that matter..

I think i figured it out, im going to need to add a router down with the wireless bridge.

Definitely not. You'd only need a switch with the bridge if you want to add multiple wired machines. Adding a router would be unecessary routing. Now you could get a WRG54 or whatever the linksys .11g router/ap combo is, add third party software and have it bridge. You'd have the built in switch so that might be the most economical purchase. You would do no routing with that device though, or any other for that matter.

Back