wireless to dialup

wolrahnaes

Weaksauce
I have a small home network consisting of 1 desktop PC (the rest are in various stages of disassembly), a wireless AP, a switch, an xbox, and a laptop.

I am currently connecting to the internet using the desktop (Win98SE) running a proxy program called Eserv. The problem I have with this is due to the proxy nature of it, most apps will not work. I have my web traffic working with HTTP proxying, and the SOCKS5 system seems to support Trillian well enough to successfully IM.

What I would like to be able to do is have a full on dialup gateway. I know there are a few hardware device that do this (Actiontec Dual PC Modem bring the one i've heard of) and there is also software, but i refuse to buy software for such a simple task, and the hardware is nowhere to be found around where i live.

I had used Browsegate 3, which did exactly what i wanted it to, but the 30 day trial period expired.

Any suggestions for either free software or easy to find hardware to do this job? I would really love to plug a piece of hardware in to the WAN port on my Netgear MR814 router/AP and be done with it.

If the only free software solutions are proxies, then any suggestions for one that has transparent proxy support which won't break kazaa, thunderbird, or most other apps?

You could use a Linux or BSD router for what you need.

Originally posted by JTY
You could use a Linux or BSD router for what you need.

This is what I did originally, but my brother (who uses my PC for games) complained, and parental influence forced the restoration of Win98.

My computer is too slow to run any games under the heavier load of XP/2000, so I cannot use any solutions that require NT based systems either.

edit: i guess there is another solution: can diablo2 and command&conquer run reasonably under wine?

Apple Airport with modem comes to mind, of course this would make your AP redundent. Sell off the AP and hook up the Airport to the switch, problem solved.

I think netgear or dlink has a router which has a serial port for a modem.

Back